Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Car Tax increases to blame for people not buying new cars? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Until April 2017 you could buy a car with low emissions that could cost from zero to £30 a year car tax.
    New cars registered after April 2017 cost a minimum of £140 a year to tax even if their CO2 emissions are equal to or lower than cars registered before 2017.
    As a result people will try to ensure they buy a car registered before April 2017 or they will simply hang onto their old car.

This is largely why people are not buying new cars!

My parents have a big Citroen C4 Picasso registered in 2015 and pay only £20 car tax. Why would they want to sell it to buy a new car with tax costing considerably more ?

When i get my first car it will NOT be one registered after April 2017. I will probably get a Peugeot 204 Hdi with 1.4 engine and ONLY £30 A YEAR ROAD TAX!

New cars? They can bloody well keep em.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Until April 2017 you could buy a car with low emissions that could cost from zero to £30 a year car tax.
    New cars registered after April 2017 cost a minimum of £140 a year to tax even if their CO2 emissions are equal to or lower than cars registered before 2017.
    As a result people will try to ensure they buy a car registered before April 2017 or they will simply hang onto their old car.

This is largely why people are not buying new cars!

My parents have a big Citroen C4 Picasso registered in 2015 and pay only £20 car tax. Why would they want to sell it to buy a new car with tax costing considerably more ?

When i get my first car it will NOT be one registered after April 2017. I will probably get a Peugeot 204 Hdi with 1.4 engine and ONLY £30 A YEAR ROAD TAX!

New cars? They can bloody well keep em.
    Doubt it - Brexit is to blame imho.

ReputationRep:
    Why TF did the country vote Brexit anyway?!?!
    I believe it was due to the immigration crisis which was taking place around the time of voting, and most brits didn't want the immigrants to come to the country, so they listened to parties which said that if you vote Brexit then the immigration problem will be solved, so people did that!!!
    I can't see any other reason, because during the time of the voting, the BBC had went on the streets asking people their opinions, and what I noticed was that most people who were voting to leave the EU were justifying their decision by saying they don't want more immigrants!

Brexit isn't beneficial to us at all, in fact it's destroyed the country! The pound is losing value every day and so many jobs are lost, which will lead to mass unemployment! Were we not better off staying in the EU, as i'd definitely prefer if we'd just stay in the EU, which would mean that we'd have to take in immigrants, but at least the economy wouldn't have crippled, as it is becoming now!

ReputationRep:
    There are several factors that are contributing towards the slowing of sales.

1st, credit facilities are becoming even more stringent these days. Previous years where credit was cheap and easy to get have become mostly the preserve of the elite or those who don't require it.

2nd: Diesel cars have seen their sales plummet due to change in governmental policies and the next generation of fuel efficient vehicles are the hybrids or electrics, these cars unlike diesels are still rather expensive to buy and consumers haven't fully embraced fully electric vehicles in a big way as there are still plenty of concerns for them chief among which is the depreciation and lifespan on the battery which mind you isn't cheap to replace.

3rd: Many cars are still bought by companies, uncertain economy and policy changes brought on by a myriad of factors (not just Brexit) is certainly having an effect on demand for new cars.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    credit facilities are becoming even more stringent these days.
    Tell that to the 18 year olds driving around in brand new financed Golf Rs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Tell that to the 18 year olds driving around in brand new financed Golf Rs.
    Financed by dad and mum you mean or the finance guaranteed by mum or dad?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    Financed by dad and mum you mean or the finance guaranteed by mum or dad?
    Nope. Finance isn't as difficult to get a hold of like you made out. Main dealer financing is obviously more difficult to get, but there's usually always a third party company willing to help the chavs out.

ReputationRep:
    £100 a year is peanuts compared to the depreciation on a new or newish car. There probably are people out there who would be swayed by that, but it's not really a logical argument.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.