Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    On the 2016 Section 1 Paper

When a stationary Uranium-238 nucleus decays by alpha emission it forms a nucleus of thorium-234. The total kinetic energy produced by the decay is E.
    What is the kinetic energy of the alpha particle?
    A. 4E/238
    B. 4E/234
    C. E/2
    D. 234E/238
    E. E

I thought it was A because E=MC^2 so Mass and Energy are directly proportional, but the answer is D, which I kind of get because its lighter so would get more KE. Point is I don't know how I would go about doing one of these questions, can someone explain the logic plzzzz

Also -- does anyone know what sort of marks cambridge are looking for on these papers? I know there meant to be hard to challenge applicants, but do they still want like >90%? Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perks23)

When a stationary Uranium-238 nucleus decays by alpha emission it forms a nucleus of thorium-234. The total kinetic energy produced by the decay is E.
    A. 4E/238
    B. 4E/234
    C. E/2
    D. 234E/238
    E. E

I thought it was A because E=MC^2 so Mass and Energy are directly proportional, but the answer is D, which I kind of get because its lighter so would get more KE. Point is I don't know how I would go about doing one of these questions, can someone explain the logic plzzzz

Also -- does anyone know what sort of marks cambridge are looking for on these papers? I know there meant to be hard to challenge applicants, but do they still want like >90%? Thanks x
    I can't help with the question because I also found it difficult and got it wrong.

However I wanted to say that Cambridge definitely aren't looking for you to get >90%!! Around 50% is considered a competitive score on the MCQs, so don't worry about it too much (also, the NSAA isn't the be all and end all of your application).

ReputationRep:

A. 4E/238
    B. 4E/234
    C. E/2
    D. 234E/238
    E. E

E=mc^2 is about interconversion of mass and energy, which we don't really see about here.

This is more about collision/explosion mechanics.

Spoiler:
    Show

Assuming a zero momentum frame, p_{234} = p_4

E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2 \Rightarrow E=\dfrac{p^2}{2m}

E_4 = \dfrac{(p_4)^2}{4}

E = \dfrac{(p_4)^2}{4} + \dfrac{(p_{234})^2}{234} = \dfrac{(p_4)^2}{4}+\dfrac{(p_4)^  2}{234}

\Rightarrow E= \dfrac{(p_4)^2}{4} \left[ 1 + \dfrac{4}{234} \right]

\Rightarrow E=E_4 \dfrac{234+4}{234}

\Rightarrow E_4 = \dfrac{234}{238}E

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM)
    E=mc^2 is about interconversion of mass and energy, which we don't really see about here.

This is more about collision/explosion mechanics.

Spoiler:
    Show

Assuming a zero momentum frame, p_{234} = p_4

E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2 \Rightarrow E=\dfrac{p^2}{2m}

E_4 = \dfrac{(p_4)^2}{4}

E = \dfrac{(p_4)^2}{4} + \dfrac{(p_{234})^2}{234} = \dfrac{(p_4)^2}{4}+\dfrac{(p_4)^  2}{234}

\Rightarrow E= \dfrac{(p_4)^2}{4} \left[ 1 + \dfrac{4}{234} \right]

\Rightarrow E=E_4 \dfrac{234+4}{234}

\Rightarrow E_4 = \dfrac{234}{238}E

Ohhhh that makes loads more sence thank you so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Franki108)
    I can't help with the question because I also found it difficult and got it wrong.

However I wanted to say that Cambridge definitely aren't looking for you to get >90%!! Around 50% is considered a competitive score on the MCQs, so don't worry about it too much (also, the NSAA isn't the be all and end all of your application).
    Oh really?!! That’s great thanks )

ReputationRep:

A. 4E/238
    B. 4E/234
    C. E/2
    D. 234E/238
    E. E

I thought it was A too, please explain if you find out why it's D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G.Y)
    I thought it was A too, please explain if you find out why it's D
    K-Man_PhysCheM gave a really good explanation, see above! — just turn it into a momentum question 👍🏼😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.