Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will alcohol and other banned things be legalised in Saudi Arabia? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The kingdom of Saudi Arabia is planning on a liberal revolution and reducing Islamist extremism.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...m-crown-prince

If this is the case could we see the legalisation of alcohol and prostitution. We could see saucy stag and hen parties on the streets of Riyadh, people in drag etc.
    People drinking Buckfast on the streets etc.
    All in all Saudia Arabia could become the Benidorm of the Middle East.

Anyone up for a cheap weekend Ryanair flight to Riyadh?

Woukd it be a good thing? Or should Saudi stay as it is?

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol and prostitution aren't just bad for religous reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Being a Muslim Majority country, and Alcohol being COMPLETELY HARAAM, I doubt alcohol would be made legal.

But hey, these money loving rulers, some Arabians of whom own horse-gambling events, probably wouldn't care. Whatever makes them money after the oil runs out right? Right? Well, I hope this isn't the case, and they stick to the not just the basic fundamentals Islam, but at least move away from such strict ones such as women driving. They shouldn't become too liberal that it affects the actual religion and teachings, but maybe liberalise a bit.

EDIT: yeah I doubt you will see legalised prostitution anytime soon.....

ReputationRep:
    erm no
    you're getting too carried away here
    calm down
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol no. Prostitution deffo not. Hence, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Being a Muslim Majority country, and Alcohol being COMPLETELY HARAAM, I doubt alcohol would be made legal.

But hey, these money loving rulers, some Arabians of whom own horse-gambling events, probably wouldn't care. Whatever makes them money after the oil runs out right? Right? Well, I hope this isn't the case, and they stick to the not just the basic fundamentals Islam, but at least move away from such strict ones such as women driving. They shouldn't become too liberal that it affects the actual religion and teachings, but maybe liberalise a bit.

EDIT: yeah I doubt you will see legalised prostitution anytime soon.....
    I’m not so sure. I mean once those Ryanair flights start landing in Saudi things could change. Fewer people want to visit Benidorm for a saucy weekend nowadays because it’s in the EU and is likely the Russian tourists will dominate places like Benidorm, when we Brits stop going.
    Blackpool is great but doesn’t have the sunshine so I think people could head to hot sunny places like Saudia Arabia to party. After all Benidorm was created under General Franco.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously hope not. This thread makes me so angry

ReputationRep:
    Steady on now. It's one thing to want to liberalize. It is another thing altogether to want to welcome drunk Brits into your country.

I also don't want to see headlines like "bribe-to-be Kelly from Preston hits camel with bottle of prosecco".

ReputationRep:
    You can make theological arguments for women's rights in Islam. You can't do the same for alcohol 'cause it's completely haram. And I doubt they'd legalise prostitution given that even western governments aren't that keen on it.

(Original post by 408655)
    I seriously hope not. This thread makes me so angry
    It's an Ambitious1999 thread, they're nonsensical and potentially anger inducing by design.

(Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Blackpool is great but doesn’t have the sunshine so I think people could head to hot sunny places like Saudia Arabia to party.
    Dubai is already a place people go to, and it'll be far better for tourists there than in Saudi.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.