Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A friend that copies everything I do?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So this is kind of weird and i don't know if i should even take it seriously just finding it a bit off, so very close friend of mine lets call her jane has this thing where she will critique me and what i do,what i wear etc.. but then she will go off and do the same thing as me let me give you examples.
    1. I bought myself a jacket which not many people really have, so few days after I get it jane starts to ask me about it and I don't think much of it but weeks later i see her wearing the same exact thing her sister who is also my friend even got the same colour as mine so i think ok probably just liked the jacket .
    2.Another few weeks go by and i see her and her sister again and with the exact same pair of shoes that i have again i don't think much of it.
    3.Then there was a time where i put up pictures in my house and wouldn't you know it she got the same type of pictures organised in the same way in her house.
    4.then I got a pair of jeans and she asks me where it's from so without thinking much of it i tell her next few days see her in the same pair of jeans this is where i'm starting to notice it's a bit weird.
    5.we're at a party and jane keeps staring at my eyes she probably realised i was wearing false lashes she doesn't say anything just keeps staring them later asking me where they're where from so few days later I go over to her house I and see the same lashes on her dresser even tho she's not really a makeup person and has never worn makeup before; which before she would tell my other friends about how i'm ugly because i wear too much makeup and only look pretty with it on which is childish and honestly hurt my feeling a bit when i found out but i continued being friends with her and still ignored this thinking 'everyone makes mistakes' and forgave her.

theres so much more it's just got to that point now where i've started realising and it's kind of becoming a bit creepy and weird most normal people have their own sense of style and individuality even among friends theres still differences i really wouldn't mind if it was one or two things but eventually you'll start noticing she even copies my behaviour at times; she also does this thing where if i'm wearing something or something good happens to me she will just try to bring you down like when i wore a tight bodycon dress to her party she insinuated i looked fat in it even tho everyone else told me i looked nice which made me feel a tad bit upset, and another thing is if i like what shes wearing i'll compliment her on it but she never has the decency of a nice friend to ever compliment me or any other friend of ours.
    but what really bothers me is that in the past i've heard her saying things about me to my other friends, and they to have also come to me saying how she will criticise what i wear and what i do to them yet somehow i coincidently always catch her wearing or doing the same as me, Jane will also come to me to bad mouth our other friend (K) even though K is honestly a genuine person whos kind,pretty and caring yet she will still find something to criticise her for which just makes me feel like she also says the same about me to my other friends. all of this just doesn't sit right with me I am a honest friend to her and have always been there for her i don't understand why she's doing this i don't know what i should do at this point because i know if i go talk to her about it she will just try and defend herself instead of admitting what she's doing so i really don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    Life's too short, make new friends.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon have an honest chat with her about it and say how you feel. 🙂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beccajane2)
    I reckon have an honest chat with her about it and say how you feel. 🙂
    idk like i said she'll literally just try to defend herself and put the blame on me instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sociolstudent)
    idk like i said she'll literally just try to defend herself and put the blame on me instead.
    If you are good, close friends then I think you should be able to talk openly to her. But I understand it's difficult. It's up to you. But I don't think she should put you down x

ReputationRep:
    "I saw Regina George wearing army pants and flip flops, so I bought army pants and flip flops"

Totally weird that she has the exact same things, if it was just similar then okay maybe she's just trying to be fashionable, but exact same is creepy
    and I know what you mean. I hate it when people copy me, even small things like school work or my diet. I do a weekly shop on a saturday, my flatmate then goes shopping on a monday and she always seems to get similar food to me. Just irritates me

If I was you, I'd just stop telling her where you got stuff, claim you can't remember where you bought them/what brand and hopefully she'll creep on someone else instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iElvendork)
    "I saw Regina George wearing army pants and flip flops, so I bought army pants and flip flops"

Totally weird that she has the exact same things, if it was just similar then okay maybe she's just trying to be fashionable, but exact same is creepy
    and I know what you mean. I hate it when people copy me, even small things like school work or my diet. I do a weekly shop on a saturday, my flatmate then goes shopping on a monday and she always seems to get similar food to me. Just irritates me

If I was you, I'd just stop telling her where you got stuff, claim you can't remember where you bought them/what brand and hopefully she'll creep on someone else instead
    ikr its just becoming weird now, im usually a nice person who will usually turn a blind eye but to a certain extent it gets even the nicest people angry i don't know if i should just slowly cut her of or not and i have stopped telling her where i get my things from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student7659)
    Life's too short
    Life is shorter than the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Your friend is jealous of you
    They dont want you to be better than them so they must be as great as you. Like people said, find some new friends

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.