Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm currently in my first year of medschool and for a couple of years I've been, I guess, slightly addicted to pot. I started at a young age, currently spend over 150 pounds on weed/week. The only time of day I'm sober is when I'm in a lecture and I tend to skip them anyway.
    in 6th form I was managing, but the amount of material in uni is too large. I try to study when I'm high and when I do, I find it helping me make connections between stuff, especially in anatomy. Nevertheless, I rarely ever get around to actually sitting down and doing some work, even though I keep telling myself I'll start soon. Usually I just end up watching some random stuff or going out.

I'm actually stoned right now writing this, but I wanted to hear out from people who also struggled to quit this. I in fact get headaches without a daily smoke, same when I hit up too much.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm currently in my first year of medschool and for a couple of years I've been, I guess, slightly addicted to pot. I started at a young age, currently spend over 150 pounds on weed/week. The only time of day I'm sober is when I'm in a lecture and I tend to skip them anyway.
    in 6th form I was managing, but the amount of material in uni is too large. I try to study when I'm high and when I do, I find it helping me make connections between stuff, especially in anatomy. Nevertheless, I rarely ever get around to actually sitting down and doing some work, even though I keep telling myself I'll start soon. Usually I just end up watching some random stuff or going out.

I'm actually stoned right now writing this, but I wanted to hear out from people who also struggled to quit this. I in fact get headaches without a daily smoke, same when I hit up too much.
    what u smokin

ReputationRep:
    Med school is an amazing opportunity, people would kill to be in your position. Go cold turkey on weed and focus on work, when you graduate you can earn bank and smoke as much you want.

(Original post by tescoterry)
    what u smokin
    Not sure, cheese maybe.

(Original post by Keslo)
    Med school is an amazing opportunity, people would kill to be in your position. Go cold turkey on weed and focus on work, when you graduate you can earn bank and smoke as much you want.
    I always tell myself I'll quit the next day, but then end up going downtown to get some anyway ...

ReputationRep:
    hard times. JUST DO THE BEST YOU CAN RIGHT NOW.

ReputationRep:
    So silly. Many students are working their socks off to get into med school and here you are taking what you have for granted. God forbid you get through med school with this sort of mentality that you have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keslo)
    Go cold turkey on weed and focus on work
    Well that's definitely NOT going to work :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    **** bro, what you need to do is ease yourself off over a few months.

You can't be dependent on weed and get very far, trust me it'll screw you over at some point . like you'll be in a med conference ( or worse, surgery) , and get a headache and craving for a joint, and cant concentrate on the operation??!! **** no.

also, it increases anxiety and depression.

the biggest potheads i knew at uni both failed in first year.

get help, get clean, you can do it.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine you could lose your place at med school if people find out you're high most of the time. How are they going to find you fit to practice on placements if you're high 75% of the time? You will need to be at 100% to actually practice with patients. I am really no expert so IDK if slowly cutting down or going cold turkey is the best option but you need to try SOMETHING. What it will really come down to is having the willpower to not give in which isn't something anyone can help you with - that's on you. You could try things like having enough food in and then not having any cash on you and giving your card to a friend for a week so you have no money to buy anything.

ReputationRep:
    What my friend did was he told his friend that if he smoked any drugs for the next month then he should tell the university, my friend agreed and he had to stop to keep his place at the university.

ReputationRep:
    do you roll with tobacco

ReputationRep:
    U need to stop smoking pot and fight the headaches (which are withdrawal symptoms). Drugs are just gonna make ur life worse, as is with any addiction- no matter how big.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.