The Student Room Group

Gcsehelp?!

Started playing guitar in yr 7 just started my gcse now and changed by subjects, one of them being music, in music lessons I've just recently stated to actually learn musical terms and scales as I want to cry in class, feelin like ****. My guitar teacher has been a great help as he is assuring me that I will be 'ahead of everyone else, I doubt that .There's about 5 of us and everyone seems to know everything, I feel so small and the weird kid just stares at me when I can't answer the 'easiest question,should I take BUISNESS instead? Doubt I'm aloud to change my subjects again...
Reply 1
You just started your gcse? So...you're In year 9 in guessing?
If so, don't worry, you have plenty of time to catch up...more than enough actually.
Reply 2
Have you tried talking to your form teacher or year head about your worries about your subjects? Whether you want to drop music is your own choice, if it's making you feel stressed or as you've talked about falling behind in class dropping the subject is probably a reasonable option. If the school won't allow you to switch GCSEs again or you decide not to drop it probably talk to your music teacher about catch-up classes during break or lunch if you're worried and ask about online revision materials or textbooks that could allow you to revise at home to help understand the topic
Reply 3
In Year 10 rn
:I. do u think I'll be fine ?
Reply 4
Original post by Noshra
In Year 10 rn

You've got about 2 years till GCSE's, that's loads of time, including all the holidays. Don't stress, you'll be fine.
Original post by Noshra
In Year 10 rn

Yes! Don't worry, in year 10 you have ages to learn all the theory etc. I'm in year 11 doing music gcse this year and we have drummers who have never read music before, they struggled initially but after persevering they know cadences better than some people who are very high grades on their instruments.
Do you know your exam board? I'm doing edexcel, let me know if you have any questions on theory (or if same board the set works)!
I also play guitar, it's such a great instrument! And use your guitar teacher, they know their music and they can definitely help with the performance aspect of the gcse. If you really hate it then of course drop it, but it's a great opportunity and I've had loads of fun being in such a small class!
TOASTIEKID x
Reply 6
Tysm everyone, got music last lesson tomorrow 😧😕😜

Quick Reply

Latest