Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should people be able to get pads and tampons for free? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Would you be okay with everyone pooing everywhere?
    That's different. Everyone poos. Not everyone bleeds at least once a month and when you're bleeding up to 2 weeks a month, it gets expensive.

And last time I checked, you pooed in a toilet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    That's different. Everyone poos. Not everyone bleeds at least once a month and when you're bleeding up to 2 weeks a month, it gets expensive.

And last time I checked, you pooed in a toilet.
    So you're saying toilet paper, because it affects everyone, is more important and less sexist to be free? Unlike bleeding, you generally have bowel movements every day. So literally all month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kambu)
    The feminine products available today have only been around since about WWI, women have done without them for thousands of years. Wouldn't say the're essential whatsoever.
    Without tampons or pads, women would bleed everywhere. On clothes, furniture, transport, etc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying toilet paper, because it affects everyone, is more important and less sexist to be free? Unlike bleeding, you generally have bowel movements every day. So literally all month.
    But not 24/7 unless you have serious issues.

ReputationRep:
    I hope not. Otherwise, I'm done shaking hands.
    Funny, but the comparison doesn’t really make sense. Everyone uses toilet tissue. If there was something that men have to pay for that women don’t, then it would make sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Funny, but the comparison doesn’t really make sense. Everyone uses toilet tissue. If there was something that men have to pay for that women don’t, then it would make sense
    Wait... What? So things that everyone have to use every day are less likely to be paid for than things only half of people use only a portion of time?

Oh, I think I understand your argument. You're saying that paying for tampons is actually sexist since only women would be affected by it and the taxes would come from everyone. Is that your argument? I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    That's different. Or would you be ok with us bleeding everywhere?
    How is that the next logical step it’s the same as me saying are you ok with me taking a crap anywhere I like as toilet paper isn’t free.

They shouldn’t have 5% vat on them but they shouldn’t be free
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    But everyone needs food. You're not special.
    Being 'special' is not the point. The point is that 'I didn't choose to need [whatever], therefore everyone else should pay for me to have it' is ridiculous reasoning. The taxpayer doesn't owe it to you to meet all of your needs. As long as we're able we all feed ourselves, clothe ourselves, house ourselves, clean ourselves and all the rest of it. Women can look after their own sanitary needs as well.

ReputationRep:
    Wait... What? So things that everyone have to use every day are less likely to be paid for than things only half of people use only a portion of time?

Oh, I think I understand your argument. You're saying that paying for tampons is actually sexist since only women would be affected by it and the taxes would come from everyone. Is that your argument? I don't know.
    Well, Isn’t that the argument? That it’s unfair for women to pay for something that they cannot control? So wouldn’t it make sense to then come up with an example where men have to pay for something that they cannot control? Toilet tissue is something that everyone uses every single day. It would be ridiculously expensive to provide that to everybody for free

For the record, I don’t actually think that they should be free, perhaps without tax (if that isn’t already the case). I think that the only sanitary items that should maybe be free are the reusable ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Are you sure you know what the word "essential" means?

What, actually would happen if you were denied access sanitary towels and tampons?
    If we were denied access, we'd start bleeding everywhere. It'd be highly unhygienic, and we'd end up getting stains on our clothes, furniture, public transport etc that someone would have to clean up, even though they stain quite badly.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I still don't understand why tampons have VAT on them too-anything for money nowadays huh?

ReputationRep:
    Well, Isn’t that the argument? That it’s unfair for women to pay for something that they cannot control? So wouldn’t it make sense to then come up with an example where men have to pay for something that they cannot control? Toilet tissue is something that everyone uses every single day. It would be ridiculously expensive to provide that to everybody for free

For the record, I don’t actually think that they should be free, perhaps without tax (if that isn’t already the case). I think that the only sanitary items that should maybe be free are the reusable ones
    Think about it though.
    Toilet tissue everyone uses- thats 7 billion people in the whole world that use toilet paper. So paying for that is unrealistic.
    But only women use tampons, and only men use condoms.
    Condoms are provided for free because they want to prevent births etc. And that makes sense, and the tax payer is very happy to pay for that. And yet we ask not to have to bleed all over our selves and public seating etc, and suddenly it's too much. People could choose to not have sex until they actually want a child, but I don't wake up on the 13th of each month and go "Nvm, don't want my period this month." And if someone couldn't qualify for benefits and couldn't afford tampons, they simply wouldn't get them. Homeless women don't get access to free tampons. Some people have to choose to bleed freely in order to feed their children. It IS a problem.

ReputationRep:

How expensive would be providing tampons for free? How would government guarantees of purchases affect the pricing? Would that increase or decrease the cost?

Whoever thinks they should needs to have a better argument than 'We need to do this', because they're the ones making the argument. If it's that women need them or they bleed everywhere, I will make the argument that everybody poos(There's even a book about it).

As you can see, providing free sanitary towels is much more sexist than free toilet paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Yeah, I still don't understand why tampons have VAT on them too-anything for money nowadays huh?
    The eu won’t let us remove it so the 5% vat that is currently on them is donated to women’s charity’s
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Well, Isn’t that the argument? That it’s unfair for women to pay for something that they cannot control?
    Why does their sex matter? Anyone can have health problems out of their control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the beer)
    Why does their sex matter? Anyone can have health problems out of their control.
    Periods aren’t health problems

ReputationRep:
    How expensive would be providing tampons for free? How would government guarantees of purchases affect the pricing? Would that increase or decrease the cost?

Whoever thinks they should needs to have a better argument than 'We need to do this', because they're the ones making the argument. If it's that women need them or they bleed everywhere, I will make the argument that everybody poos(There's even a book about it).

As you can see, providing free sanitary towels is much more sexist than free toilet paper.
    How is it sexist to provide them for free?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Panadol, feminax, hot water bottles and even chocolate have been said to alleviate period pain. No ones asking for all of that to be free so why are you dragging it out?
    She said a) she didn't "choose periods". I didn't choose migraines
    and b) she is in pain, I am in pain.
    c) She said medications should be free, I'm pointing out what a slippery slope that is

ReputationRep:
    Periods aren’t health problems
    You mean they're not problems? They're definitely health related. And why would it matter if you're right anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    The eu won’t let us remove it so the 5% vat that is currently on them is donated to women’s charity’s
    thats good

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.