Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should people be able to get pads and tampons for free? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    thats good
    but the choices of charities has been highly questionable as it has included pro-life lobbyists.
    also i fear this will become a stick to beat women with who oppose it "well we can't get rid of it because it pays for all these charitable good deeds".

This whole thread has completely ignored period poverty too. I disagree with all women getting free tampons however those from poorer backgrounds should be entitled to them (especially school children and the homeless). This is because of how disruptive period without pads or tampons can be - especially to a young girl who is either too embarrassed to ask her family for them, or doesn't want to be a burden. Hence without them she struggles to get on with life as normal (including attending school). Therefore the government has a duty to step in to ensure equal access to education. Also to anyone concerned about this please donate sanitary products to food banks as many ask for them yet they routinely do not get donated (this is a quick fix to this problem and more needs to be done).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the beer)
    You mean they're not problems? They're definitely health related. And why would it matter if you're right anyway?
    No, I mean they’re not health problems. In fact, they’re quite the opposite.

I don’t know what point you were trying to make

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    No, I mean they’re not health problems. In fact, they’re quite the opposite.
    They're health benefits?

I don’t know what point you were trying to make
    I'm not trying to make a point, i just can't get my head around why you feel sex is an important factor in getting health issues dealt with for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImFailingUhOH)
    If we were denied access, we'd start bleeding everywhere. It'd be highly unhygienic, and we'd end up getting stains on our clothes, furniture, public transport etc that someone would have to clean up, even though they stain quite badly.
    Disposable nappies are not free. There is an alternative e.g. terry toweling and safety pins. These are not very convenient, so people are willing to pay a premium for the convenience of disposable nappies.

The alternative to disposable sanitary towels and tampons is NOT "bleeding everywhere". Before they were invented, women didn't do nothing (sorry for the double negative). http://www.femmeinternational.org/th...-sanitary-pad/

Women should pay for the convenience of tampons etc. compared to the alternatives (grass?). But, as I said earlier, I don't not agree that there should be a tax pushing up the price any higher than the cost price + a small profit to whatever company makes them.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    They're health benefits?
    Well no. But they're usually a sign (minus pregnancy) that your body is healthy.

ReputationRep:
    They're health benefits?

I'm not trying to make a point, i just can't get my head around why you feel sex is an important factor in getting health issues dealt with for free.
    They’re an indication of good health.

I don’t see why reusable sanitary items shouldn’t be free as opposed to the few pads/tampons that are posted to families with teenage girls

ReputationRep:
    They’re an indication of good health.

I don’t see why reusable sanitary items shouldn’t be free as opposed to the few pads/tampons that are posted to families with teenage girls
    Racist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yaboi)
    Racist
    I sincerely apologise

ReputationRep:
    I understand these are 'essential products' but it's wrong to make them free. I was born with asthma, I have to get a pump every month. It's essential, I would love it to be free but everything in life can't be free. It's costs to make my prescription, I would not expect the government to pay.

However, they should remove the 5% tax; I believe there should be no VAT on such products.

ReputationRep:
    They should be available for free to those on lower incomes.

Aside from that, they should be tax free. Of course they're an essential!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klw18)
    They should be available for free to those on lower incomes.

Aside from that, they should be tax free. Of course they're an essential!
    Nope, just give them more money
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.