Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should people be able to get pads and tampons for free? Watch

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=miss_ambitious;74287950]yes! We need a feminist to run our country not a old donkey[/QUOTE)

(Original post by IWMTom)
    You stated you thought that schools and colleges should fund it, not the government, but all schools and colleges (with the exception of private institutions) are funded by the government, and therefore the taxpayer...

See the problem???
    I see the flaw in my logic there, however I do still believe that it should be funded, either directly or indirectly. (Directly would be better, because otherwise it would hit schools in poorer areas harder, which isn't a sensible thing to do.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Oh hunnybun, my mistake saying you can't have an opinion. Its just that some of you have no idea and therefore sound silly when stating your opinion, such as 'tampons and pads are not essential'
    I've not once said they're not essential? I said they shouldn't be paid for by the taxpayer.. perhaps focus on your comprehension skills before fighting for "women's rights".[/QUOTE]

I never said that you said that did I?? But someone else did in this thread. Im not fighting for women's rights? Im just here because there are certain individuals that think they can comment on this topic without knowing even the basics. Im done talking to you if you're going to go against everything i say lmao, bye hun
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Are you sure you know what the word "essential" means?

What, actually would happen if you were denied access sanitary towels and tampons?
    Blood. Blood everywhere. Not just in a ladies panties- everywhere.
    If periods could be contained by just pants a lot of women wouldn't bother with uncomfortable sheets of sponge in their pants.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlxxxx)
    I've not once said they're not essential? I said they shouldn't be paid for by the taxpayer.. perhaps focus on your comprehension skills before fighting for "women's rights".
    I never said that you said that did I?? But someone else did in this thread. Im not fighting for women's rights? Im just here because there are certain individuals that think they can comment on this topic without knowing even the basics. Im done talking to you if you're going to go against everything i say lmao, bye hun[/QUOTE]

This is too much for my dumb dumb man brain to handle, I'll go back to tightening bolts and changing timing belts, because that's all were good for DOYYYYY :flute:

ReputationRep:

What, actually would happen if you were denied access sanitary towels and tampons?
    Okay, perfect say we were denied them. You would all then have a problem with the state we would be in, because toilet paper will not hold a lot, therefore we would need toilet breaks every 5 mins, and it sure would smell!! Which would you rather happen?

Blood. Everywhere.
    People missing out on education and work, which would lead to a shortage in workers, thereby increasing prices of goods and services, putting everyone out of pocket.

I'm going to bed now, but I'll be reading and responding to future posts tomorrow.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I actually remember this girls in my old school asking this question lol. It was so weird because we sat there silent and in the end the entire hall burst our laughing because the man who came to give us this presentation had no answer. But to answer your question, yes, I think girls should get free tampons because it is something natural and they can't control it.

ReputationRep:
    I think menstrual cups should be the only free menstrual product. This could encourage people to try them out. Plus they last for years and years before they need replacing saving the government money and also vastly reducing the millions of tonnes of feminine products that are dumped into landfill every year.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Most of the men, actually not men, boys, on this thread are real douches. Don’t expect free toilet paper, women have to buy both toilet paper and sanitary products. While all u buy is toilet paper. Also in public washrooms, toilet paper is free while women still have to pay the napkin vending machines for a pad. Plus don’t say sanitary products are “not essential” some of us have ****ing heavy periods and if we were to go without a tampon/pad y’all would freak out and be disgusted by the blood. But sanitary products totally aren’t essential right?

(Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    I actually remember this girls in my old school asking this question lol. It was so weird because we sat there silent and in the end the entire hall burst our laughing because the man who came to give us this presentation had no answer. But to answer your question, yes, I think girls should get free tampons because it is something natural and they can't control it.
    Thank you! Finally a guy that agrees.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I think they should. If condoms and Vigra can be paid for or given free then why are pads and tampons excluded?
    Men AND women chose to have sex and there must be two willings partners of the opposite sex to result in pregnancy. Sex is a choice.
    Females do not choose to have periods yet it is required to pay for pads and tampons. I understand men cannot relate so it is not on their list of priorities but females NEED pads and tampons because it a biological function to menstruate which out of our control.

Also not every female has access or money to afford pads/tampons. It is not fun for the girl or woman to have her period leaking their her pants either.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah comparing sanitary items to condoms/toilet roll is a pretty shoddy analogy as this only affects menstruating women. I guess the male analogue and possibly a better comparison is free circumcisions on the NHS for men who suffer pain/swelling issues. This was the case for me so I don't see why free sanitary products aren't offered to some degree.

Tampons are also highly inelastic goods which consumers tend to buy from few select suppliers so they're operating in an oligopolistic, profit-margin driven market. I'd consider price capping or exempting tax for these as it's just an unnecessary cost for most women. It's not like tampons require the same R&D, testing or manufacturing costs as medicine. Profit-driven mentality at it again doh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald777O)
    Oh really? I meant 3 days of pain but the actual period lasts 4/5. Is all your 7 days painful? I wouldn't be able to live with 3 more days of pain!
    Yeah most of the days it's painful
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You can't compare tampons to contraception. It's cheaper for the government to provide free contraception (therefore, encouraging people to use it) than it is to provide things like abortions, benefits, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Sanitary products for menstruation should at least have no tax, since they're essentials. Imagine how embarrassing and unsanitary it is when people who can't afford them have to go without them. I'm sure that's something that no one wants.
    But for people who can't afford them, tampons and pads are given for free at homeless shelters and charities, just like food is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Sure, as long as toilet paper is free. I didn't choose to have to poo. It happens regardless of whether I decide I want to or not. Why shouldn't toilet paper be free?
    also babies nappies ? why should they not be free also ? babies are more important than adults, no ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kambu)
    The feminine products available today have only been around since about WWI, women have done without them for thousands of years. Wouldn't say the're essential whatsoever.
    Actually, they are essential, since women have always used some form of feminine products. Even in ancient times, cotton and linen were used to soak up the blood. We use the same materials in feminine products today, but we've improved their efficiency and called them feminine products instead of just cotton or linen rags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray1999)
    Actually, they are essential, since women have always used some form of feminine products. Even in ancient times, cotton and linen were used to soak up the blood. We use the same materials in feminine products today, but we've improved their efficiency and called them feminine products instead of just cotton or linen rags.
    No, food and water are essential (neither of which are free), tampons are not.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.