Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should people be able to get pads and tampons for free? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    also babies nappies ? why should they not be free also ? babies are more important than adults, no ?
    Those on a low income do get nappies and baby milk for free

ReputationRep:
    I understand why they shouldnt be free but definately tax free. Tax is supposed to be for LUXURY items and they're really a necessity. If condoms are free then tampons and pads should definately be.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by needledropp)
    If you don't see the problem with girls bleeding on clothes and being so unhygienic, leave this conversation.
    People have to pay for drugs to keep them alive, paying to prevent bloody clothes doesn't seem like a huge problem in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_solemnly_swear)
    I understand why they shouldnt be free but definately tax free. Tax is supposed to be for LUXURY items and they're really a necessity. If condoms are free then tampons and pads should definately be.
    Much more agreeable than the other proposals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the beer)
    People have to pay for drugs to keep them alive, paying to prevent bloody clothes doesn't seem like a huge problem in comparison.
    I can understand why sanitary items aren’t free but who has to pay for drugs to keep them alive?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they should be taxed as a luxury item. They should be free for those who can't afford them, but not for those who can. There was something in the news recently about girls staying off school during their period as they couldn't afford sanitary products, so hopefully something could be put in place to help them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    I can understand why sanitary items aren’t free but who has to pay for drugs to keep them alive?
    There are a number of life threatening long term illnesses that aren't exempt from prescription charges.

ReputationRep:
    hmm i imagine it's the men saying tampons & pads shouldn't be free....I don't see any women wanting us to pay for them...

ReputationRep:
    Glad to see you've finally conceded.
    Not possible, you already conceded here:

you retard. no women want you.
    and here:

Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    At Sixth form we get people coming in once every two weeks, giving out free condoms. This got me thinking about how, although sex is a choice colleges (and the government) are willing to aid it, but periods aren't a choice and it costs 50p to buy a pad or tampon in the toilets at college.
    Do you agree? Am I overreacting?
    I'd love to hear your thoughts!
    It ahould definitely b3 free, especially when youre period comes as a surprise and you dont have any back ups or money on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweetpeasw)
    so what would you propose, if you think pads/tampons aren't essential? would you rather girls walked around, sitting in puddles of their own blood, blood leaking onto all furniture, or potentially on seats you would have to sit on afterwards? public transport seats covered in blood? or if you have a female family member, and you had to take the car together? to see hundreds of girls each day, with blood stained trousers/skirts/dresses? also how're girls supposed to be confident if everyone can see this? we worry enough about tiny blood spots leaking in our jeans even with pads/tampons. Get yourself informed before you go making statements like this.
    Completely agree with you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ANM775)
    They should not be free

If we're going to go down that route....

nappies are "essential" to babies, shouldn't that be free?

food is "essential" too [far more essential than tampons], why shouldn't that be free?

If ya'll feel the cost of these women products are too much, then simply don't wear them. It's not going to kill you .....as it's truly not "essential".......
    However, you get benefits to buy nappies for your baby.

We have no choice but to wear women's products. You're right, it won't kill me. But bloody clothes aren't pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    It’s a health requirement to have pads/tampons etc, so the NHS should be covering them (more important than some things the NHS covers)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Sure, as long as toilet paper is free. I didn't choose to have to poo. It happens regardless of whether I decide I want to or not. Why shouldn't toilet paper be free?
    Toilet paper is free? In public institutions and areas. You can walk into a restaurant, cinema practically anywhere outside your home even though it's not a public institution and use toissue paper and their toilet.

To have any of these places choose not to accommodate you and basically every feces having person (which is everyone) there would literally be a public outcry and probably more nationwide confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    At Sixth form we get people coming in once every two weeks, giving out free condoms. This got me thinking about how, although sex is a choice colleges (and the government) are willing to aid it, but periods aren't a choice and it costs 50p to buy a pad or tampon in the toilets at college.
    Do you agree? Am I overreacting?
    I'd love to hear your thoughts!
    I think this should depend on one's financial circumstances - if they struggle to afford sanitary products, then they should definitely be of no cost
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    There are only a few exemptions from NHS prescription charge, which means the majority of people who need regular prescriptions (including some life saving ones) are having to pay each time they collect them.
    This page has info on prescription charges and exemptions
    https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Health...tioncosts.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelShark)
    But women have to deal with buying both toilet paper and pads/tampons while y’all dudes are here just complaining about toilet paper. Also good pads/ tampons are expensive, so it would only be fair to have everyone buy toilet paper, but those with periods (women) to get free tampons or pads.
    Most men buy razors.

Should babies get free nappies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Most men buy razors.

Should babies get free nappies?
    Well low income families DO get free nappies and milk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactuss)
    Well low income families DO get free nappies and milk
    Do you understand why?

Adults (/ almost adults) are expected to look after themselves. Those without sufficient income are helped by the state, typically by being given money to spend as they need. Would you want them to receive less money, but get some free (to them) products?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shontelle1990)
    Toilet paper is free? In public institutions and areas. You can walk into a restaurant, cinema practically anywhere outside your home even though it's not a public institution and use toissue paper and their toilet.

To have any of these places choose not to accommodate you and basically every feces having person (which is everyone) there would literally be a public outcry and probably more nationwide confusion.
    Someone gives you free toilet paper for your home?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.