Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm at newcastle uni currently and I'm not really fitting in with flatmates. All they want to do is get drunk on a night and then go out when they are already drunk to get even more drunk, and I don't drink at all and wouldnt mind going out but they're not interested in talking to me as they all have other friends and each other. Do you have to drink 10 bottles of beer to not be socially awkward at Uni, because im feeling pretty lonely. I even went to a gaming social event but I can't talk to people because im too awkward and shy :/

ReputationRep:
    Don't think its a matter of drinking or not

ReputationRep:
    Look on the bright side, Atleast you won't get liver disease

ReputationRep:
    Just find someone who likes like to be in same situation as you and try strike up a convo with them. Good chance they'll put in the effort to actually get to know you and discuss more....unlike some sh!tty extroverts that leave you after talking 2-3 sentences and brazenly talk about themselves and....getting out of topic here. Anyway, you get where I'm coming from pal?

ReputationRep:
    When trying to fit ten people into a telephone box, it helps to have drunk.

Do people even know what a telephone box is anyone more?

[/old]
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billsLemonpies)
    I'm at newcastle uni currently and I'm not really fitting in with flatmates. All they want to do is get drunk on a night and then go out when they are already drunk to get even more drunk, and I don't drink at all and wouldnt mind going out but they're not interested in talking to me as they all have other friends and each other. Do you have to drink 10 bottles of beer to not be socially awkward at Uni, because im feeling pretty lonely. I even went to a gaming social event but I can't talk to people because im too awkward and shy :/
    I think its a positive thing that you went to the gaming social. It can be intimidating going somewhere new and trying to make conversation, especially if you don't drink. Don't let it put you off going to things again. There will be other like minded people out there! Check out other societies and see if anything takes your fancy. Make it an aim to just talk to one person at the next event and go from there!

I know how hard it can be, being sober and having flatmates that are the opposite. Why not suggest an activity that doesn't involve alcohol like going for food and a film, or bowling.

I hope it gets better!

ReputationRep:
    So it's not really the lack of drinking it's the fact that you're too shy. Do you suffer from anxiety? Could look into getting medical help.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What are your hobbies? Join a society or club according to those and be more out there! Uni is supposed to be the best years of your life. There are lots of other people at uni who don't rely on alcohol to have fun so don't restrict yourself to your flatmates. Hope it all works out .

ReputationRep:
    If you don't really see your flatmates as the type you'd want as friends, there's always societies and people on your course.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.