Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bother applying to vacation schemes? 2.2 in first year Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

I am making this post to inquire about vacation schemes and uni grades.

My first year was extremely difficult for me, I had health problems which basically ruined my chances of getting a decent first year grade - I could barely retain/memorize any work due to said health problems, so I ended up with a 2.2.

I study History at the LSE, which I guess can help me but again, I had tried to apply to a vac scheme recently and they asked for a breakdown of my grades on the application

I didn't finish the application and have totally abandoned it now, because I fear rejection due to grades.

There's not much time left for vacation scheme applications, and I'm in my second year now, so time is running out if I want to secure a TC.

I have a Christmas placement at Devonshires Law firm which will hopefully help to get legal experience, but I only got it through my manager from a past voluntary role, she referred me.

I hope that makes sense

xxx
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by MJlover)
    Hi there

I am making this post to inquire about vacation schemes and uni grades.

My first year was extremely difficult for me, I had health problems which basically ruined my chances of getting a decent first year grade - I could barely retain/memorize any work due to said health problems, so I ended up with a 2.2.

I study History at the LSE, which I guess can help me but again, I had tried to apply to a vac scheme recently and they asked for a breakdown of my grades on the application

I didn't finish the application and have totally abandoned it now, because I fear rejection due to grades.

There's not much time left for vacation scheme applications, and I'm in my second year now, so time is running out if I want to secure a TC.

I have a Christmas placement at Devonshires Law firm which will hopefully help to get legal experience, but I only got it through my manager from a past voluntary role, she referred me.

I hope that makes sense

xxx

I would chill out and not worry. First year doesnt account for much if any of your marks and the other two are much more important. For non law grads they tend to favour third year students as its used for recruiting reasons and non law grads are closer to knowing what they want by then. They tend to be much less interested in first years. They normally make this clear on their recruitment details.

Focus on doing well from now on

Just get work experience and save money or do voluntary work like CAB..

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you had mitigating circumstances, were uni aware? Can you get a doctor’s note?

Will the same issues effect second year grades?

Some firms are very picky about grades, Shearman and Sterling for example.

If you don’t get vacation schemes you could apply for internships in other industries which will still provide good experience. I did a 6 week internship at EY and they didn’t ask for grade breakdowns, that was in my second year.

Could also look at applying to open days and other events (e.g. city law live) and then target vacation schemes in third year, with a view to securing a TC, hopefully with really good second year grades that show it was a blip.

Also worth looking for more informal work experience, which it seems you are.

As you’d need to do GDL, you’d be looking to secure a TC in third year so there is still time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.