Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    anyone know any good revision tips for these two texts like what one should do in terms of revising for them
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaFuenteBlanca)
    anyone know any good revision tips for these two texts like what one should do in terms of revising for them
    I can only speak for A Streetcar Named Desire, where I suggest you firstly break it down into acts and highlight the developments in each character and then divide it into various themes e.g. class divides, love and romance, death and mortality etc. That practically sets you up for exam questions, which you should also practise by giving yourself timed essays to complete!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xloismoorex)
    I can only speak for A Streetcar Named Desire, where I suggest you firstly break it down into acts and highlight the developments in each character and then divide it into various themes e.g. class divides, love and romance, death and mortality etc. That practically sets you up for exam questions, which you should also practise by giving yourself timed essays to complete!
    what are the key things i should focus on in A streetcar named desire

ReputationRep:
    what are the key things i should focus on in A streetcar named desire
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean?
    in terms of themes motifs quotes what are essentially the main things i should go over and revise

ReputationRep:
    in terms of themes motifs quotes what are essentially the main things i should go over and revise
    Well that's exactly what you need to go through the play looking for, find what themes and motifs stick out to you and then find evidence to back it up.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's exactly what you need to go through the play looking for, find what themes and motifs stick out to you and then find evidence to back it up.
    Is there any particular revision tips that you can provide with me with

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I don't know if higher english exams are any different from others but from my experience with doing Streetcar a lot of the essay questions that would come up in past papers (and in my final exam) were based around what a main character represents/central themes, or also conflict, and key scenes.

Also I don't know if you've fully read the text so I'm trying to be as vague as possible here lol

For Blanche you could study how flawed she truly is, how in the beginning she comes off as very pompous and vain; mocking her sister for where she lives, her husbands animalistic behaviour - and how it's kind of forshadowed that she's quite the opposite of what she portrays herself as. You could talk about her character development over the course of the story.

There is immediate tension between her and Stanley which creates conflict e.g her drinking his alcohol, lying about it, and him knowing right off the bat, the tension keeps rising over the course of the play between these two and there's lots of stuff on it so when you're studying it try to nitpick with all the little pieces of conflict between them and how it contributes the movement of the plot, their character development, whether or not it changes, how it's "resolved," how it truly arises and the reason for it etc.

Key scenes are the turning point and climax, as well as the first and last scenes, when you get to these scenes focus on them particularly, think about how the turning point links in with the rest of the play, especially the climax, any forshadowing.

The main themes in this story are death and desire, they are inextricably linked to one another and you can find a lot of quotes in the play that touches on the idea of them being linked.

I'm sorry if this isn't much help, if you need additional notes and help with scenes, characters, quotes etc Sparknotes is a good place to go. It gives very good breakdowns scene by scene and character by character.

You could also watch the 1951 film, we did it in class and even though some parts are changed it stays very true to the play, just don't rely on it fully. I thought it gave quite a good insight into how the characters interact and the emotions at play. it is black and white tho lol, kind of jarring for today's standards and it is 2 hours long.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.