The Student Room Group

Are feminists too extreme now days or is it not enough?

Watch a video about feminists and just thought of this argument. Do feminits have to calm down a bit since gender equality has been achieved or is right now not enough? Personally I think some arguments for gender equality is kind of wrong. Like saying gender equality hasn't been achieved because there isn't enough women studying physcis.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There are plenty of well-meaning people who call themselves feminists and genuinely take issue with the societal pressures people face depending on their gender. In terms of rights, we are largely equal in the West (there are some sizeable exceptions; in the UK a woman cannot rape a man, and a man cannot "opt out" of parental rights/responsibilities at any stage for a child he does not want, even in very early pregnancy) but we still put great pressure on women to be nurturing and family-oriented (even if this is not, as used to be the case, at the expense of a career) and on men to be stoic and career-focused. Gender is still decisive in how we express ourselves socially and how we are viewed for our personalities socially. A girl who cries a lot is just a little bit annoying, a guy who cries a lot is a total freak. A guy who doesn't really want or like children is just a slightly selfish but ultimately normal guy, a woman who doesn't really want or like children is a total freak. The problem is that many vocal feminists transform their hatred of this illusive, indemonstrable "patriarchy" into an overarching, overbearing, destructive loathing of men. They view men as the oppressive class and women as the oppressed, and this extends to everyone, regardless of actual class, of actual privilege. They are by no means the majority, but by God they crow loudly, and they talk a load of utter codswallop, and that's what the public sees. This means that the name feminism has become tainted to the extent that it is almost not worth associating with; calling yourself an egalitarian is more indicative of a genuine belief in gender equality.
Reply 2
Original post by LaFuenteBlanca
i think feminists should just get cancer and die

Feminists are people who believe women should have equal rights with men?
Reply 3
Original post by math42
There are plenty of well-meaning people who call themselves feminists and genuinely take issue with the societal pressures people face depending on their gender. In terms of rights, we are largely equal in the West (there are some sizeable exceptions; in the UK a woman cannot rape a man, and a man cannot "opt out" of parental rights/responsibilities at any stage for a child he does not want, even in very early pregnancy) but we still put great pressure on women to be nurturing and family-oriented (even if this is not, as used to be the case, at the expense of a career) and on men to be stoic and career-focused. Gender is still decisive in how we express ourselves socially and how we are viewed for our personalities socially. A girl who cries a lot is just a little bit annoying, a guy who cries a lot is a total freak. A guy who doesn't really want or like children is just a slightly selfish but ultimately normal guy, a woman who doesn't really want or like children is a total freak. The problem is that many vocal feminists transform their hatred of this illusive, indemonstrable "patriarchy" into an overarching, overbearing, destructive loathing of men. They view men as the oppressive class and women as the oppressed, and this extends to everyone, regardless of actual class, of actual privilege. They are by no means the majority, but by God they crow loudly, and they talk a load of utter codswallop, and that's what the public sees. This means that the name feminism has become tainted to the extent that it is almost not worth associating with; calling yourself an egalitarian is more indicative of a genuine belief in gender equality.

I agree. In some ways due to specific individuals the word "feminist" has turned into some what a negtive thing. So I think there should be a rebranding in a sense to change peoples' view on it
Reply 4
I don't think anyone goes far enough. We should organise in such a manner that every dissenter is taken outside and shot. Continue until there is but one person left. Then they have a conflicting thought about something banal like whether or not God's greatest gift is an egg custard or a Charvel San Dimas and then have to off themselves. The planet will thank us for it.
Reply 5
There are feminists and there are feminazi.

Honestly, I think they both need to sit fown and think. "Am I really getting equality from this?" No offence but going around saying abusing women is wrong, but when its the other way round, everyone laughs. That's not equal.

They also neec to think about what they want to be equal. I do not want to see women walking around with their breasts out and claim "If men can do it, so can I." No.

Basically, we need to plan properly and think before we act. Calm down.
Reply 6
Would the feminazis look good in Hugo Boss?
Reply 7
Original post by LaFuenteBlanca
i think feminists should just get cancer and die

same with MGTOW. all a bunch of losers
Original post by Seungy_Han
Watch a video about feminists and just thought of this argument. Do feminits have to calm down a bit since gender equality has been achieved or is right now not enough? Personally I think some arguments for gender equality is kind of wrong. Like saying gender equality hasn't been achieved because there isn't enough women studying physcis.

Enough women not studying physics is hardly an issue. Not one most feminists are concerned about.

That being said; gender equality hasn’t been achieved. Despite laws in place for equal pay, the gender pay gap is alive and thriving. It is an issue.

There are definitely extremes to feminism, but it means equality for a reason. It’s called feminism and not equality because historically, women have been oppressed.
Extreme?

Wanting equality is extreme?
I think so... It appears to be mostly angry bitter people, probably mad because they can't get a boyfriend or something? In your day to day life, you won't find many hot women involving themselves in that garbage. Normal people have better things to do and think about, instead of living their lives in constant anger and hate ranting on Twitter/Tumblr all day.

By the way, believe it or not there are men as well on the opposite side involved in "Men's Rights Activism". Again it's mostly angry people mad they can't find love. Normal people rarely get involved in anything like this.
(edited 6 years ago)
i say live and let live. if these ladies wish to ignite their underwear then let them get on with it.
Today's western third wave feminism is absolutely unnecessary.
Current feminism is pathetic. They are blighted by so many extremists it isn't even funny - every time they're in the news its for stuff like saying air conditioning is sexist, that 'manspreading' should be illegal and that quote from the Australian Parliament 'being condescending and patronising is commonly known as mansplaining'. It's not about equality any more its about screaming 'won't someone think of the women' to be catered to.

Genuine work for equality I support, but that doesn't see gender lines whereas feminism in general has been literally building a stack as in men are on the top therefore they're ok targets and their problems don't matter and black trans gay disabled women are the top. That isn't working for equality. It's enforcing inequality by categorising and using that as the base to judge everyone regardless of the individual which is why some feminists say without irony 'a homeless man is more privileged than a fortune 500 woman'. Any good work they do is lost in the cacophony of tumblr dogpilers, appeal to emotion idiots demanding apologies, and absolute cretins they refuse to disassociate themselves from as well as their tenets which nobody may challenge without being called sexist and hounded constantly. It's become a movement for middle class people with so few problems they have to invent them to pretend their position in life isn't actually one of vast privilege.

First wave feminism was good. Choice feminism is good. Do as we say, hive mind, buzzword soup, tumblr feminism (basically third wave) is entirely cancerous.
Feminists are, I suppose, a diverse group of people. So I guess labelling them as a collective group is perhaps unfair.

However, I find the narrative behind most "feminist" stuff I read online to be pretty hypocritical, and often ignores evidence/statistics etc. I am therefore genuinely confused about how so many intelligent people are happy to identify as feminists.

Not an ideology I will ever support, tbh.
Original post by FloralHybrid
Enough women not studying physics is hardly an issue. Not one most feminists are concerned about.

That being said; gender equality hasn’t been achieved. Despite laws in place for equal pay, the gender pay gap is alive and thriving. It is an issue.

There are definitely extremes to feminism, but it means equality for a reason. It’s called feminism and not equality because historically, women have been oppressed.

But then feminists never talk about the "gender life expectancy gap", or the "gender university attendance gap", or the "gender imprisonment gap" etc.

If women were paid more than men, on average, then I imagine the "gender pay gap" would also be ignored and never discussed.
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
Current feminism is pathetic. They are blighted by so many extremists it isn't even funny - every time they're in the news its for stuff like saying air conditioning is sexist, that 'manspreading' should be illegal and that quote from the Australian Parliament 'being condescending and patronising is commonly known as mansplaining'. It's not about equality any more its about screaming 'won't someone think of the women' to be catered to.

Genuine work for equality I support, but that doesn't see gender lines whereas feminism in general has been literally building a stack as in men are on the top therefore they're ok targets and their problems don't matter and black trans gay disabled women are the top. That isn't working for equality. It's enforcing inequality by categorising and using that as the base to judge everyone regardless of the individual which is why some feminists say without irony 'a homeless man is more privileged than a fortune 500 woman'. Any good work they do is lost in the cacophony of tumblr dogpilers, appeal to emotion idiots demanding apologies, and absolute cretins they refuse to disassociate themselves from as well as their tenets which nobody may challenge without being called sexist and hounded constantly. It's become a movement for middle class people with so few problems they have to invent them to pretend their position in life isn't actually one of vast privilege.

First wave feminism was good. Choice feminism is good. Do as we say, hive mind, buzzword soup, tumblr feminism (basically third wave) is entirely cancerous.

Ahhh. And this, is where all the issues lie.

People such as yourself take a minority, and it influences the entire thing. I completely agree that it’s a problem, but we counteract that not by agreeing and saying “modern feminism is cancer” but by saying no, we don’t let a few extremists put us off our movement. Feminism. Is. Equality.
I'm a inter-sectional feminist and proud of it. However I do not "hate" men as this create a tenser environment which does not tackle the main issues in gender inequality.
Original post by FloralHybrid
Ahhh. And this, is where all the issues lie.

People such as yourself take a minority, and it influences the entire thing. I completely agree that it’s a problem, but we counteract that not by agreeing and saying “modern feminism is cancer” but by saying no, we don’t let a few extremists put us off our movement. Feminism. Is. Equality.

I am always hyperbolic, it's my method of argumentation and a flaw/talent depending on how you view it. Such statements are made as a disarming tactic - that is people will get riled up about their use and lose the thread of the argument or their flow of argumentation.

The problem as I see it is that far from the minority, these people are the face that is seen every day. Shrieking lunatics, tumblr ranters and people like Jessica Valenti (published in the guardian) Franchesca Ramsey (MTV show) and the entire bunch of misrepresentative fake news-ers at feminist websites like Jezebel and Salon. People entirely incapable of arguing in good faith with no consistent tenets and more buzzwords than rationality.

Feminism refuses to discount these people (although they cast out Christina Hoff Summers who as it happens is a feminist I agree with because she tries to identify real problems objectively and then work to solve them for women rather than parroting lies to push an agenda) and therefore they - by their own self statement - become part of the movement and it becomes poisoned by their rhetoric. If there is nobody arguing against them saying 'actually you haven't got a clue and you're talking rubbish' then their view becomes accepted as part of feminism because you allowed it to be. Most communities don't suffer from such a severe case of hive mind syndrome - when bad apples get involved they are quickly rooted out or disavowed as quickly as possible - but feminism has no interest in calling out the morons who give the movement a bad name and are therefore complicit in the problem
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
I am always hyperbolic, it's my method of argumentation and a flaw/talent depending on how you view it. Such statements are made as a disarming tactic - that is people will get riled up about their use and lose the thread of the argument or their flow of argumentation.

The problem as I see it is that far from the minority, these people are the face that is seen every day. Shrieking lunatics, tumblr ranters and people like Jessica Valenti (published in the guardian) Franchesca Ramsey (MTV show) and the entire bunch of misrepresentative fake news-ers at feminist websites like Jezebel and Salon. People entirely incapable of arguing in good faith with no consistent tenets and more buzzwords than rationality.

Feminism refuses to discount these people (although they cast out Christina Hoff Summers who as it happens is a feminist I agree with because she tries to identify real problems objectively and then work to solve them for women rather than parroting lies to push an agenda) and therefore they - by their own self statement - become part of the movement and it becomes poisoned by their rhetoric. If there is nobody arguing against them saying 'actually you haven't got a clue and you're talking rubbish' then their view becomes accepted as part of feminism because you allowed it to be. Most communities don't suffer from such a severe case of hive mind syndrome - when bad apples get involved they are quickly rooted out or disavowed as quickly as possible - but feminism has no interest in calling out the morons who give the movement a bad name and are therefore complicit in the problem

Feminism does have an interest in calling out the morons. And they do! But it is a shame the media has so much influence that spreads the message of the minority, making it stronger.

It’s hard for us to tell what is and isn’t feminism. But it certainly shouldn’t be (and IS NOT for the majority) a man hating session.

I completely understand where you’re coming from, but we can’t give in to a few and shatter an entire, very valid movement.

It would be like abolishing religion for the sake of extremists. God no.

Quick Reply