Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Theories that explain why certain people hate police/authority Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm doing my dissertation on whether crime reporting is affected by people's attitudes to police, but I've just realised that I've not really got any theories to use in my introduction. So far I have Social Learning Theory because certain individuals e.g. gang members learn from their fellow gang members to disrespect the police. Anybody got anymore I could possibly use? Any help would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markymark97)
    So I'm doing my dissertation on whether crime reporting is affected by people's attitudes to police, but I've just realised that I've not really got any theories to use in my introduction. So far I have Social Learning Theory because certain individuals e.g. gang members learn from their fellow gang members to disrespect the police. Anybody got anymore I could possibly use? Any help would be much appreciated.
    Institutional racism/prejudices within the police and justice system. So anything to do with police treating the poor or non-white communities differently than they do more privileged or white communities. E.g. the riots were triggered by the unlawful shooting of Mark Duggan.

The police suppressing freedom of speech/ protests etc using force like tasers.

Poverty/ social injustice/ deficits in education/ poor education and job opportunities for certain communities may contribute to how people view authority. They feel the state has been unfair to them, so why respect the state?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.