Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    People say to go with what you enjoy doing, but I honestly don't think I have anything I enjoy. I can't decide where to go and I want to go somewhere worth the time.
    If I had to choose, then maybe the bank, optician, hospital or café, but I'm only thinking of these options with no real interest. I want to do something I enjoy.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It should be something you enjoy, but it should also be valuable experience - not just something for the hell of it. This work experience is likely what will get you your first proper job because it's the only experience of work you'll have.

Have you spoken to your teacher/tutor about the problem you're having with thinking up somewhere to go? If not then this might help!

There is a website which is called the National Careers Service and they have a quiz type thing that helps you figure out your skills and what careers might fit in with your interests, so this could help you to work out what work experience you might want to do.

Here's the link: https://nationalcareersservice.direc...lth-check/home

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Trustttt me when I say you're going to be referring back to this work experience a lot - on your CV, personal statement, and in any interviews you have for jobs. Getting your first job, that will be the only experience you have so you're going to need to talk about all the wonderful skills it gave you, whether it's all bs or not lol.

Go for somewhere that, if possible, ties in somehow with what you want to go into in the future. And if you're like I was and have no idea, just ensure it does offer skills like organisation, teamwork, following rules etc. I went to a school which at first I didn't think I would want like, but now it's what I'm gearing towards for my future. So even if you go somewhere that you may not think you would find interesting, go in with a positive outlook and it may change your mind. Good luck with the work experience!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! But I still don't know what to do... No one is accepting me. I want to work with finance. Any ideas?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.