sweetstars
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
People say to go with what you enjoy doing, but I honestly don't think I have anything I enjoy. I can't decide where to go and I want to go somewhere worth the time.
If I had to choose, then maybe the bank, optician, hospital or café, but I'm only thinking of these options with no real interest. I want to do something I enjoy.
hug_the_psych
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It should be something you enjoy, but it should also be valuable experience - not just something for the hell of it. This work experience is likely what will get you your first proper job because it's the only experience of work you'll have.

Have you spoken to your teacher/tutor about the problem you're having with thinking up somewhere to go? If not then this might help!

There is a website which is called the National Careers Service and they have a quiz type thing that helps you figure out your skills and what careers might fit in with your interests, so this could help you to work out what work experience you might want to do.

Here's the link: https://nationalcareersservice.direc...lth-check/home

Good luck!
xloismoorex
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Trustttt me when I say you're going to be referring back to this work experience a lot - on your CV, personal statement, and in any interviews you have for jobs. Getting your first job, that will be the only experience you have so you're going to need to talk about all the wonderful skills it gave you, whether it's all bs or not lol.

Go for somewhere that, if possible, ties in somehow with what you want to go into in the future. And if you're like I was and have no idea, just ensure it does offer skills like organisation, teamwork, following rules etc. I went to a school which at first I didn't think I would want like, but now it's what I'm gearing towards for my future. So even if you go somewhere that you may not think you would find interesting, go in with a positive outlook and it may change your mind. Good luck with the work experience!
sweetstars
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you! But I still don't know what to do... No one is accepting me. I want to work with finance. Any ideas?
user454346y543r
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sweetstars)
Thank you! But I still don't know what to do... No one is accepting me. I want to work with finance. Any ideas?
what did u decide to do
sweetstars
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by user454346y543r)
what did u decide to do
Hi, sorry for the late reply. For Year 10 work experience, I worked at a chartered accountancy. Now, for a degree, I'm thinking of doing Accounting & Finance or Computer Science. I've been self-teaching myself programming and have taken a slight interest in it. I'm still not certain. I keep switching between Accounting & Finance and Computer Science. I don't have a strong interest in either so it's really hard to decide.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (545)
33.89%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (663)
41.23%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (327)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise