The Student Room Group

HELP! WORRIED! BTEC- UNI. PleaseHelp

Well, my GCSEs were terrible..I received my GCSE results in 2016 and I had only managed to secure a C C in maths and English.
My friends who had failed maths were able to commence a level 3 Btec whereas I, for some reason was put on to a level 1 btec.
I completed my level 1 and now at the age of 17 I am doing level 2. This means I will be doing level 3 whilst I am 19-20. If I get into uni I will be 20..
My first stress is that will unis accept level 2 as equivalent to GCSE as I only have 2 and will I definitely get into uni as my teachers are always confused as of why I'm doing level 2 but if I pass level 3 will I get into uni and is it weird to start uni at early 20 ( I will turn 20 in august before uni period so will have just turned 20)

Thank You!!!
Original post by AidenAdam-11
Well, my GCSEs were terrible..I received my GCSE results in 2016 and I had only managed to secure a C C in maths and English.
My friends who had failed maths were able to commence a level 3 Btec whereas I, for some reason was put on to a level 1 btec.
I completed my level 1 and now at the age of 17 I am doing level 2. This means I will be doing level 3 whilst I am 19-20. If I get into uni I will be 20..
My first stress is that will unis accept level 2 as equivalent to GCSE as I only have 2 and will I definitely get into uni as my teachers are always confused as of why I'm doing level 2 but if I pass level 3 will I get into uni and is it weird to start uni at early 20 ( I will turn 20 in august before uni period so will have just turned 20)

Thank You!!!

1. level 2 is a very general term. It depends what level 2 qualifications they are. You have the min important ones which are Maths and English. Some unis will be ok with just those at level 2 and others will want 4-6 GCSE or will consider your other level 2s. Its something you will have to research as there is not definitive position. You should be fine though .

2. Make sure you are dong a level 3 qualification they will accept. A levels are safe, but BTEC are fine with most as well. Other level 3 courses are not considerd academic enough. The alternative is to do an Access course which is specifically aimed at uni entrance. You should be fine if you stick to the above, but do your research before deciding.

3. Whether you get into uni or not depends on grades. You need to do a bit more thna just scrape through if you want to get somewhere decent. You will always find unis eager to take your money, but need to research as to whether you want to spend the £60,000 getting a degree. Its not always worth it.

4. Dont worry about your age. 20 will not be noticed and there are people in 30s , 40s and 50s who start uni.

Worry less and focus on studying.

PS BTEC are fine for about 75% of courses so you will have plenty to choose from..
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
I did A levels for two years and failed them, I've now a level 3 btec and am currently in my second year. I will be starting uni (hopefully) when im 20 and honestly it doesnt matter at all!! I know so many people at uni and most of them mixed ages anyway!! Dont worry !

Quick Reply

Latest