Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidenAdam-11)
    And do you stress about your future like me.?
    Back then, yes, I was so scared.

Be chill, enjoy your course, get the grades you want and you will be on your way to university.

"More than 100,000 UK applicants aged 20 and over have now been accepted into universities and colleges this year." UCAS 2014.

ReputationRep:
    Well, my GCSEs were terrible..I received my GCSE results in 2016 and I had only managed to secure a C C in maths and English.
    My friends who had failed maths were able to commence a level 3 Btec whereas I, for some reason was put on to a level 1 btec.
    I completed my level 1 and now at the age of 17 I am doing level 2. This means I will be doing level 3 whilst I am 19-20. If I get into uni I will be 20..
    My first stress is that will unis accept level 2 as equivalent to GCSE as I only have 2 and will I definitely get into uni as my teachers are always confused as of why I'm doing level 2 but if I pass level 3 will I get into uni and is it weird to start uni at early 20 ( I will turn 20 in august before uni period so will have just turned 20)

Thank You!!!
    Dear OP, I've done this path and it's definitely the way forward! I too slipped up on my maths and then went down the route of going from level 1 btec to level 3, I had a lot of the "you're a retard" comments before but I just kept to it. In fact I was the only one out of my entire class to succeed and get the level 3! Yeah I won't lie level 1 was a joke and there were some genuinely stupid people on the course but I just got my head down and look towards my goal! Now heading back to university next year after taking a few years out working, honestly I personally wouldn't have done it any other way if I was given the choice! I wish you all the best, you can do this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelofessence)
    Dear OP, I've done this path and it's definitely the way forward! I too slipped up on my maths and then went down the route of going from level 1 btec to level 3, I had a lot of the "you're a retard" comments before but I just kept to it. In fact I was the only one out of my entire class to succeed and get the level 3! Yeah I won't lie level 1 was a joke and there were some genuinely stupid people on the course but I just got my head down and look towards my goal! Now heading back to university next year after taking a few years out working, honestly I personally wouldn't have done it any other way if I was given the choice! I wish you all the best, you can do this!
    Wooow thank youuuu! I'm currently doing level 2 and yes people don't care but I just do what needs doing.
    Next year I will be doing level 3. What uni do u go? Do unis accept level 2 to be equivalent to gcse
    I have maths and English it's just, I need 5gcses so was put on the course.

Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Wooow thank youuuu! I'm currently doing level 2 and yes people don't care but I just do what needs doing.
    Next year I will be doing level 3. What uni do u go? Do unis accept level 2 to be equivalent to gcse
    I have maths and English it's just, I need 5gcses so was put on the course.

Thanks
    Excellent that you've made it this far, massive well done, now keep it up! Just do what needs to be done < Definitely keep that mindset! And yes a lot of them do, a lot of uni's I applied to this year accepted it, it's equivalent to 5-7 GCSE's at grade A*-C I believe? Anyhow, I did a funcional skills level 2 as well for my maths and the uni's were more than happy to accept it. I got DDM in level 3, I basically got all distincions in the first year but sort of burnt out towards the end of the 2nd year (4 years in college really did burn me out) so I just did the pass and merit tasks because I really could not be bothered at the time (bad attitude I know but I still got through!). I've currently got unconditional offers from York, Newcastle, Sheffield and Manchester! Just got to make a decision now! And with regards to age, seriously don't worry. I'm going to be 23 when I start uni next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelofessence)
    Excellent that you've made it this far, massive well done, now keep it up! Just do what needs to be done < Definitely keep that mindset! And yes a lot of them do, a lot of uni's I applied to this year accepted it, it's equivalent to 5-7 GCSE's at grade A*-C I believe? Anyhow, I did a funcional skills level 2 as well for my maths and the uni's were more than happy to accept it. I got DDM in level 3, I basically got all distincions in the first year but sort of burnt out towards the end of the 2nd year (4 years in college really did burn me out) so I just did the pass and merit tasks because I really could not be bothered at the time (bad attitude I know but I still got through!). I've currently got unconditional offers from York, Newcastle, Sheffield and Manchester! Just got to make a decision now! And with regards to age, seriously don't worry. I'm going to be 23 when I start uni next year!
    I hope you all the best❤️. Goodluck and people reading this thread:
    Gcses are not the end to everything, they are start. Yes good GCSEs will enable you to do many things yet failing does not define nothing.
    How can 1 sheet of paper given to you at the age of 16 define your whole lifeا
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'm the exact same!
    I did really bad in school and I'm currently sitting my highers (A Levels) at nearly 19, then I want to take a gap year soo I'll be 20 by the time I start uni.
    I feel the exact same as you!! I'm very apprehensive about starting uni older , scared of feeling left out etc BUUUUT loads of the ppl I've spoke to who've been to uni say a lot of the first years were 20+, depends on the course and the uni but usually there will be a society or even Facebook group etc for mature students so you will be able to find people your own age look ALSO remember 18 is literally only 2 years younger than 20, a lot of them will be absolutely happy to hang out with you and really won't care or even notice your age!
    Just try not to think about it negatively, a lot of ppl do have a difficult time at school and if you feel judged just think "f**** off!" (And remember that you might just be imagining things because you think ppl judge you when they aren't) , this is YOUR life, no one else is in charge but you 😊😊

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.