Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uni at 22? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, new to this so bear with.

I'm 17 & I've been homeschooled since I was around 15 due to being posted constantly around the country, so I never sat any formal qualifications either. So in light of this, instead of the utter shame I'll feel of being the only 17 year old I know with no results, I'm going to use interhigh, a very credible online school to do my GCSEs & then A levels, but by the time I've completed these two courses I'm going to be 22!! I'm really concerned about how old im going to be & then going into uni? I dont particularly want to stand out?? Is this common? Is 22 too old to go to university? I have an option to skip my GCSEs & go straight onto A levels but im scared I could scupper uni applications without them?

I REALLY want to go, and I REALLY want to study law.

cheers
    chlo

ReputationRep:
    Once you reach university age hardly matters anymore. Mature students are VERY common so you won't stand out whatsoever. If anything 22 is still on the young side so you will blend in seamlessly anyway...It's honestly not worth worrying about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemarie_22)

I'm 17 & I've been homeschooled since I was around 15 due to being posted constantly around the country, so I never sat any formal qualifications either. So in light of this, instead of the utter shame I'll feel of being the only 17 year old I know with no results, I'm going to use interhigh, a very credible online school to do my GCSEs & then A levels, but by the time I've completed these two courses I'm going to be 22!! I'm really concerned about how old im going to be & then going into uni? I dont particularly want to stand out?? Is this common? Is 22 too old to go to university? I have an option to skip my GCSEs & go straight onto A levels but im scared I could scupper uni applications without them?

cheers
    chlo
    Your age won’t even slightly be relevant. 22 year olds hardly look that much older than 18 year olds, so nobody is really going to notice. And if they did, it would not matter in the slightest. Don’t worry about it at all. It’s absolutely fine.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Your age won’t even slightly be relevant. 22 year olds hardly look that much older than 18 year olds, so nobody is really going to notice. And if they did, it would not matter in the slightest. Don’t worry about it at all. It’s absolutely fine.

I think its more of the fact all my friends are leaving at 18/19 and I just feel so old going at 22!! I hope what you both say is true, I just really want to succeed! Thankyou both xxxx

ReputationRep:
    You can go to university when you're 50, so no 22 isn't too old. There's no set time to go to university anyway, just go when you're ready. Also i would do the GCSEs, most universities ask for you to have English and maths GCSEs as a formality anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pathway)
    You can go to university when you're 50, so no 22 isn't too old. There's no set time to go to university anyway, just go when you're ready. Also i would do the GCSEs, most universities ask for you to have English and maths GCSEs as a formality anyway.
    I agree, particularly if you want to study Law - Get your GCSE’s before your A-Levels.

(@ The OP) I’m doing my A-Levels at the moment with the hope of studying Law - If I can help in any way, feel free to pm me. ☺️
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

cheers
    chlo
    Your 17 and a lot mature than the normal GCSE child so you should be motivated. Have you been taught anything? How good is your maths, english and science? Are there are any other subjects your interested in? I don't think it will take you 5 years but even if it does its not a big deal really.

ReputationRep:
    That's not too old to start uni at all
    One course mate started at 25, he was worried he wouldn't fit in but he had no issues. No one really cares about your age tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    Your 17 and a lot mature than the normal GCSE child so you should be motivated. Have you been taught anything? How good is your maths, english and science? Are there are any other subjects your interested in? I don't think it will take you 5 years but even if it does its not a big deal really.
    I did tests to see what my levels were around 3 months ago & the examiner said I was working at a B grade in regards to GCSEs, so I was pleased considering i have gaps in my education! I love school period - so I love all subjects! Mainly essay based subjects though, they are my favourite.

ReputationRep:
    I did tests to see what my levels were around 3 months ago & the examiner said I was working at a B grade in regards to GCSEs, so I was pleased considering i have gaps in my education! I love school period - so I love all subjects! Mainly essay based subjects though, they are my favourite.
    That is awesome to hear! Why do you think GCSE's will take you 3 years then? With Regards to Maths and Science just doing past papers can get you A's if you already have a good understanding and are at a B/C level. That will get you 3 A-Levels Maths, Core Science and Additional Science and then you are interested in Law so you should do English Language and English Literature that will get you 5 GCSE and are the most important ones. Given your circumstances that is amazing and most universities will not have a problem with your GCSE's. At A-Level you could do English, Law, Psychology, Economics (The last 3 are not usually done at GCSE' whatever you want and it usually takes 2 years doing A-level but if you even take 3 its all good and being 17-25 at uni is not a big deal I would say.

ReputationRep:

cheers
    chlo
    i'm currently 21 and a 1st year at uni so pm me if you'd like some help x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    That is awesome to hear! Why do you think GCSE's will take you 3 years then? With Regards to Maths and Science just doing past papers can get you A's if you already have a good understanding and are at a B/C level. That will get you 3 A-Levels Maths, Core Science and Additional Science and then you are interested in Law so you should do English Language and English Literature that will get you 5 GCSE and are the most important ones. Given your circumstances that is amazing and most universities will not have a problem with your GCSE's. At A-Level you could do English, Law, Psychology, Economics (The last 3 are not usually done at GCSE' whatever you want and it usually takes 2 years doing A-level but if you even take 3 its all good and being 17-25 at uni is not a big deal I would say.
    Because I'm 17 now and starting GCSEs, so I should finish at around 19? As it's a two year long course of 8 GCSEs, and then a further 2 for a levels like you say. I'd like to do really well so I could attend a good university, Oxbridge maybe? Hahaha

And thanks again for the reassuring me, I'd rather play the long game and do well!! It will pay off!!

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm 17 now and starting GCSEs, so I should finish at around 19? As it's a two year long course of 8 GCSEs, and then a further 2 for a levels like you say. I'd like to do really well so I could attend a good university, Oxbridge maybe? Hahaha

And thanks again for the reassuring me, I'd rather play the long game and do well!! It will pay off!!
    Maybe Oxbridge You seem to know what your doing good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emz99)
    Maybe Oxbridge You seem to know what your doing good luck!
    A girl can dream!! Yeah & you, cheers mate

ReputationRep:
    A girl can dream!! Yeah & you, cheers mate
    Hell yh Determination, drive and ambition is everything.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly 22 is not old at all.

ReputationRep:

cheers
    chlo
    I don't think that you should skip GCSEs. Most half-decent unis ask for a minimum set of grades in them (even if it's only 5Cs!). That's not to mention that they develop the soft skills and hard knowledge necessary for A-level.

22 is a fairly normal age to be starting uni. I know people who started uni at the age of 30 and 40, and that's where the difference between them and the rest of the student body starts to show. 22-year-olds might be a bit more mature than your average Fresher, but that's about the only visible difference that your peers will notice.

As for the admissions process, not only is law becoming increasingly easier to get into for those who meet the entry requirements at all but a handful of universities, but the perseverance you showed in self-teaching yourself and finishing secondary education looks great.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.