The Student Room Group

Should I apply to King's or Bath for Economics?

Basically Economics is a new course at King's, only starting in 2017. This means there is a lack of data online about how good it is, and the only thing to go off is prestige. I'm not sure what I should go for.
I am holding a deferral to go to Kings for law. King's is regarded as a better university as you have alluded to but the issue here is quite interesting. Although I'm no expert, I'd say, to employers in the future and the general public, going to King's would make you stand out. Taking a relative risk and shot in the dark, applying to a new course, shows quite a lot of creativity and gusto. You could be part of something quite outstanding, and worse case scenario, it will be a pretty similar standard to Bath, so, what have you got to lose? (disclaimer these are just my thoughts, don't ruin your life cause of a guy off the internet).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey!
I am currently studying Business and Management in King's College London and I am often combined with people from the Economics equivalent of my degree - Economics and Management.
As you've said King's is offering Economics as new but the modules which you'd study in it are far from new and there is hardly any lack of information. To give you a brief summary I am currently in my Third year and I had to choose from a wide range of modules - 12 I believe. Almost more than half of them (7 or so) were Economics related such as Labour Economics, Health Economics and etc. For the first and Second year there is a wide range of modules too.
My personal advice to you is to apply to the more prestigious university! If you have the grades for it and you are able to do it do not hesitate. Employers in the future would appreciate the reputation of the university, as well as your grade. Keep in mind that King's is a very hard university to be in. I have had friends who study for 8 hours a day and can't still manage to get a first or a 2:1 so be careful with that. If you feel like you could do well then I advise you to apply where you would like and don't consider "Economics" as a new course.
Original post by Vallito
Hey!
I am currently studying Business and Management in King's College London and I am often combined with people from the Economics equivalent of my degree - Economics and Management.
As you've said King's is offering Economics as new but the modules which you'd study in it are far from new and there is hardly any lack of information. To give you a brief summary I am currently in my Third year and I had to choose from a wide range of modules - 12 I believe. Almost more than half of them (7 or so) were Economics related such as Labour Economics, Health Economics and etc. For the first and Second year there is a wide range of modules too.
My personal advice to you is to apply to the more prestigious university! If you have the grades for it and you are able to do it do not hesitate. Employers in the future would appreciate the reputation of the university, as well as your grade. Keep in mind that King's is a very hard university to be in. I have had friends who study for 8 hours a day and can't still manage to get a first or a 2:1 so be careful with that. If you feel like you could do well then I advise you to apply where you would like and don't consider "Economics" as a new course.

Fair enough mate you know what you're on about, person who asked the question, definitely read this over my answer 😂.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending