Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    okay so cellulose is made up of Beta Glucose monomers but i dont get why the whole microfibril has alternating OH groups? Are there 1-4 Glycosidic bonds or 1-6?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra1500)
    okay so cellulose is made up of Beta Glucose monomers but i dont get why the whole microfibril has alternating OH groups? Are there 1-4 Glycosidic bonds or 1-6?
    Yes cellulose is made of Beta glucose. Cellulose is made only from 1-4 glycosidic bonds. But cellulose microfibrils are layers of cellulose and join by many hydrogen bonds.Due to many hydrogen bonds the cell wall is strong because cell wall is made of cellulose. As the cellulose is arranged in a parallel way the form hydrogen bonds. O-H bond is strong because Oxygen is more electronegative. Cell wall made of cellulose is strong due to many hydrogen bonds formong in it.

I hope this will help you. If there is any difficulty in understanding be curious to say it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks i get that, but you know how it has up Oh groups and down OH groups- how come that happens?

ReputationRep:
    I think this could help you https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/...ts-to-the-left

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate your efforts but im looking for something specific to hexose beta glucos in cellulose and theyre talking about 4 carbon molecules. Thanks anyways

ReputationRep:
    I think it’s trying to say that the position of the OHs is a specific one and it’s important because if the structure of the hexose is changed it would become another molecule and not be a B-glucose molecule anymore. Therefore the cellulose would not be formed anymore by a B-glucose. But don’t take my word for it because I might be wrong or not answering your question anyways. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra1500)
    Yeah thanks i get that, but you know how it has up Oh groups and down OH groups- how come that happens?
    I can't understand your question. Just make it a bit clear to explain it to you.

ReputationRep:
    the positioning of the each beta glucose in a microfibril is different to aplha glucos

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.