Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving University next year - chances of transfer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at Oxford Brookes Uni doing a foundation in Computing and I was wondering what the likelihood is of me moving to a Uni like KCL/Durham/UCL/Birmingham with pretty poor A-Level grades (DDE).

I'm not in any way incapable of doing well, I just had a lot of things that I was going through at the time and I lost motivation and hope but I've taken a different approach to life now and I feel better than ever.

The reason for the transfer is because I want to go for a Uni that has better overall rating/better facilities etc.

I've already been getting 90%+ in all my online tests and Maths is a fairly strong point and I'm taking basically C1 maths again as one of my modules, it's a bit more advanced but the basics are there, I got an A in both C1/C2 so I did well there.

Surely if I have a decent overall % at the end of the foundation year (85%+) and I have experience during the Summer coming in the field of my course then the chances must be decent? I'm thinking of applying to Cisco/Microsoft for a short placement, my CV is pretty good in terms of experience. I've done marketing in my spare time - helped develop sites/SEO etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think the chances are very high if your achieving 90%+ since you only need 40% to pass Foundation year, it’s best if you contact the university’s before hand and see what they say.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibzy16)
    I'm currently at Oxford Brookes Uni doing a foundation in Computing and I was wondering what the likelihood is of me moving to a Uni like KCL/Durham/UCL/Birmingham with pretty poor A-Level grades (DDE).

I'm not in any way incapable of doing well, I just had a lot of things that I was going through at the time and I lost motivation and hope but I've taken a different approach to life now and I feel better than ever.

The reason for the transfer is because I want to go for a Uni that has better overall rating/better facilities etc.

I've already been getting 90%+ in all my online tests and Maths is a fairly strong point and I'm taking basically C1 maths again as one of my modules, it's a bit more advanced but the basics are there, I got an A in both C1/C2 so I did well there.

Surely if I have a decent overall % at the end of the foundation year (85%+) and I have experience during the Summer coming in the field of my course then the chances must be decent? I'm thinking of applying to Cisco/Microsoft for a short placement, my CV is pretty good in terms of experience. I've done marketing in my spare time - helped develop sites/SEO etc.
    You need to email the department you want to transfer to at each uni and ask if they will accept the foundation year as a qualification for entry to the course you want to go to. Then if they say yes apply through ucas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    You need to email the department you want to transfer to at each uni and ask if they will accept the foundation year as a qualification for entry to the course you want to go to. Then if they say yes apply through ucas.
    Yes, that's the issue. Basically I'm trying to find out if anyone is aware or knows if UCL/KCL etc accept foundation students with very high pass rates, I'm talking high 80 to 90%+ as that's what I'm currently on track for. Baring in mind I did get an A* at GCSE and an A in some Maths A Level modules surely there could be some leeway?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that's the issue. Basically I'm trying to find out if anyone is aware or knows if UCL/KCL etc accept foundation students with very high pass rates, I'm talking high 80 to 90%+ as that's what I'm currently on track for. Baring in mind I did get an A* at GCSE and an A in some Maths A Level modules surely there could be some leeway?
    Both universities employ a whole team of staff who can answer this.

ReputationRep:
    You need to contact each uni individually for a definite answer. It will vary a lot as there isnt a standard foundation year course so each uni you apply to might accept a foundation year done at one uni but not one from another. It will also vary depending on what course you apply for too as each department handles it own admissions policy

I did a foundation year in physical sciences at leeds (allowing entry to engineering, maths, physics, chem, comp sci) and UCL said they wouldnt consider my foundation year but KCL said they would (this was for physics and was 3 years ago so things could of changed)

The GCSE wont make a difference I imagine tbh and neither will the a-level maths if your foundation year covers similar things as they will use that as entry but I could be wrong, you will need to ask

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.