Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My son really liked the open day at Lancaster and it is now his first choice. I studied at Lancaster ( admittedly almost 30 years ago) and loved the uni. However I have really bad memories of living in Morecambe in my second year ( cold damp house - an hour's bus journey to campus). Could you please tell me if it's still like that ? Where do 2nd yrs live ? Do they still have to go to Morecambe and is it still as dreadful ! Thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

I'm currently a 3rd year student at Lancaster. Firstly as a student all I'm saying is anecdotal, I don't have any numbers, and I may be wrong. That being said, I don't think there are any students who live in Morcombe for any reason other than choice, there is now a massive amount of student housing in Lancaster made up of traditional house shares and also custom built student flats (CityBlock is the big example). Obviously there's still variations in quality, there are some really nice houses, and the usual amount of dingy small terraced houses that have seen better days. However, assuming your son doesn't leave it too late (i.e half way through second term of first year) that shouldn't be a problem. And of course if he chooses to live on campus for second year, most people who apply to live on campus past first year get an offer.

Hope that was useful

Joseph

ReputationRep:
    I'm a third year and I've never heard of anyone living in Morecambe in second year. I lived on campus in first and second year and now I live in Lancaster city centre. Everyone I know lives on campus, in Lancaster or between the two.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I do know of at least one student who lives in Morecambe. But that's because they wanted to, not because they had to. It's very easy to find accommodation in your second year (and beyond) in Lancaster. The prices are not great if it's listed as "student accommodation" as the landlords do price gouge, but it's still a lot cheaper than living on campus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.