Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The next person at uni or anywhere else for that matter who mentions my age, or my generation in a derogatory or even joking manner, I will flatten them. It was mildly funny at first, but now I'm in my final year and will be 70 when I'm done, I have put up with so much crap throughout my degree that at this point I feel like jacking it all in.
    I'm quite a tough individual but this last few weeks, I have been reduced to tears at uni by people who should know better. To top it all, I have been mistaken for a cleaner, a lecturer, an observer, and yesterday in Sainsburys there was a massive queue at the checkout and the bloke on the till asked me what I lectured in at the university [I was wearing my lanyard and ID]. I said I was a student and he said, oh, you look old to be a student and I said 'If I was a lecturer, the first thing I would do would be to tell people like you to mind your own ****ing business, and that I don't go around asking people what they do in their lives. Curiosity is one thing but I've just about had it with people now.
    To top it all, I'm having issues at uni to the point where I feel like dropping out now. Seeing my personal tutor today to discuss it.
    Can't speak about the uni issue as it's a professionalism issue but if anyone here can message me re my other question I would be very grateful.

ReputationRep:
    Just laugh, ignore and move on. Works for me when trying to deal with ignorant fools.

ReputationRep:
    While waiting to go in to a calculus lecture, one of the students asked "Can I record your lecture, sir?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    and I said 'If I was a lecturer, the first thing I would do would be to tell people like you to mind your own ****ing business, and that I don't go around asking people what they do in their lives.
    Not being an arse would help... I get it's annoying, but reacting like that won't do you any favours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    The next person at uni or anywhere else for that matter who mentions my age, or my generation in a derogatory or even joking manner, I will flatten them. It was mildly funny at first, but now I'm in my final year and will be 70 when I'm done, I have put up with so much crap throughout my degree that at this point I feel like jacking it all in.
    I'm quite a tough individual but this last few weeks, I have been reduced to tears at uni by people who should know better. To top it all, I have been mistaken for a cleaner, a lecturer, an observer, and yesterday in Sainsburys there was a massive queue at the checkout and the bloke on the till asked me what I lectured in at the university [I was wearing my lanyard and ID]. I said I was a student and he said, oh, you look old to be a student and I said 'If I was a lecturer, the first thing I would do would be to tell people like you to mind your own ****ing business, and that I don't go around asking people what they do in their lives. Curiosity is one thing but I've just about had it with people now.
    To top it all, I'm having issues at uni to the point where I feel like dropping out now. Seeing my personal tutor today to discuss it.
    Can't speak about the uni issue as it's a professionalism issue but if anyone here can message me re my other question I would be very grateful.
    Seems an odd thing to be saying to someone who is nearly 70 - but you really need to grow up.

What do you think is going on here? You're way outside the modal age for university students - of course people are going to be interested and find it unusual or remarkable. I'm pretty sure that you think you're unusual and remarkable yourself.

Have you done anything to show the other students that you're essentially just like them - but older? Are you in the socs, do you take part in rag, do you go out with them on nights out and have pres / club nights?

If the answer is no (and I'm not saying it should be "yes") then you're an unusual student almost entirely down to the fact of your age. This is because of your choice to go to university and do something outside the norm. Can't cry about it when you get treated outside the norm.

ReputationRep:
    If you posted here for honest replies I'll give you one:
    You can't really blame someone for mistaking you for a lecturer, but this doesn't give them the right to laugh at you. When asked what you teach it's asked because it's generally fascinating to talk to someone who is at the pinnacle of their subject.

The best thing to do is to accept it. Accept that people will mistake you for someone else and understand why they have done that. It's nothing to be ashamed of, rather something to wear as a badge. It's admirable that someone still has a passion to learn at an age where the rest are sat in a rocking chair watching TV.
    Be proud of what you are and what you're doing.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You are amazing. Keep in mind it genuinely gets harder to learn as you get older, because of changes in the brain, but you haven't let that stop you. Don't let people's prejudice stop you, just keep being your awesome self, hold your head high and smile. You are doing something most people just can't, and when I'm your age I want to be at least as amazingly badass as you!
    For reference, I am on an access course to go to university, to do nursing. I am 33 and I am not the oldest person on my course by at least a decade. we are all proud as hell to be mature students!

ReputationRep:
    Also my mother in law went back to uni in her 50s and was doing 3 simultaneous degrees. All the most impressive people I know have been mature students!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Seems an odd thing to be saying to someone who is nearly 70 - but you really need to grow up.

What do you think is going on here? You're way outside the modal age for university students - of course people are going to be interested and find it unusual or remarkable. I'm pretty sure that you think you're unusual and remarkable yourself.

Have you done anything to show the other students that you're essentially just like them - but older? Are you in the socs, do you take part in rag, do you go out with them on nights out and have pres / club nights?

If the answer is no (and I'm not saying it should be "yes" then you're an unusual student almost entirely down to the fact of your age. This is because of your choice to go to university and do something outside the norm. Can't cry about it when you get treated outside the norm.
    I don't have to be like other students and go to socs, and rag etc. I get along with all of the students in my year. I have been their rep since first year. I have helped many of my fellow students, financially, with issues with parents, dealings with other students, and helped when they have been homesick, and on more than one occasion have dealt with the uni on their behalf.
    It is not the other students who are causing me issues.

ReputationRep:
    The upshot is what you have achieved so far is all credit to you
    Sadly, because you’re in the minority, it’s human nature to comment. Of course people are surprised
    I’m sure it’s upsetting but given everything you’ve overcome so far in your life you can get through this without stooping to their level.
    This hangs in my house and it’s very good advice!

Chin up, shoulders back, wipe those tears, get back on track,
    Smile,wave and wink with class,
    Then tell them all to kiss your ass!

The very best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckit)
    Also my mother in law went back to uni in her 50s and was doing 3 simultaneous degrees. All the most impressive people I know have been mature students!
    THREE??? :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    The guy in the shop was just making polite conversation. Why is it so offensive? It's unusual for someone that age to be a student. The majority are 20 year olds.

It's like being an ethnic minority in a school where everyone is white lol. You'l get asked "where are you from?" by literally everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    The upshot is what you have achieved so far is all credit to you
    Sadly, because you’re in the minority, it’s human nature to comment. Of course people are surprised
    I’m sure it’s upsetting but given everything you’ve overcome so far in your life you can get through this without stooping to their level.
    This hangs in my house and it’s very good advice!

Chin up, shoulders back, wipe those tears, get back on track,
    Smile,wave and wink with class,
    Then tell them all to kiss your ass!

The very best of luck
    Thank you. X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.