Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello my fellow Thespians!

This thread if for all things MA Acting entry 2018.

I will be applying to
    Drama Centre
    CSSD (Classical)
    Drama Studio
    ArtsEd
    ALRA
    Mountview
    LAMDA (MFA)

Has anyone received any audition dates yet? How long do they give you usually from once you have submitted? Also, references??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doll_parts)
    Hello my fellow Thespians!

This thread if for all things MA Acting entry 2018.

I will be applying to
    Drama Centre
    CSSD (Classical)
    Drama Studio
    ArtsEd
    ALRA
    Mountview
    LAMDA (MFA)

Has anyone received any audition dates yet? How long do they give you usually from once you have submitted? Also, references??
    You may also want to check out this (mainly undergrad but relevant) forum

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I'm also applying for several MA courses this year, it will be my third year of auditioning. I already have a BA honors degree in performance from university, but ultimately the course wasn't fulfilling and practical enough, so I always knew I'd want to do a postgrad course at drama school after completion.

So far, I've sent off my applications for RWCMD, RCS and Central. Still going to be applying for a few more though. Have you got any dates yet?

ReputationRep:
    I've just noticed that LAMDA have changed their 2 year foundation course to an MFA course, so I think I'll definitely be applying for that one this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grape24)
    Hello! I'm also applying for several MA courses this year, it will be my third year of auditioning. I already have a BA honors degree in performance from university, but ultimately the course wasn't fulfilling and practical enough, so I always knew I'd want to do a postgrad course at drama school after completion.

So far, I've sent off my applications for RWCMD, RCS and Central. Still going to be applying for a few more though. Have you got any dates yet?
    Which stream at Central are you applying to?

And I have not got any dates yet, I've applied to ALRA, ArtsEd and Drama Studio so far so I'm just waiting for them to get back to me about the dates I've selected.

I need them all to be after December though because I've ran out of holiday days at work :P

What was it like auditioning for Central MA in the past?

ReputationRep:
    I've just noticed that LAMDA have changed their 2 year foundation course to an MFA course, so I think I'll definitely be applying for that one this year.
    Have you got a date for that one yet?

ReputationRep:
    Which stream at Central are you applying to?

And I have not got any dates yet, I've applied to ALRA, ArtsEd and Drama Studio so far so I'm just waiting for them to get back to me about the dates I've selected.

I need them all to be after December though because I've ran out of holiday days at work :P

What was it like auditioning for Central MA in the past?
    I would probably opt for the contemporary strand, but I like that they consider you for both as both courses sound good.

I had a nice audition experience at Central. One of the panelists was running slightly late, so the other guy led us through some warm up exercises and games which lasted for about 15 minutes. I'm not sure if they normally do that, but it was definitely appreciated. We then had to wait around in the holding room, as they see you individually, and I was the very last person to be seen, so I had quite a wait. I didn't receive any re-direction during my audition, but I know lots of people who I spoke to did.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got a date for that one yet?
    Not yet. I'm only just filling out my application for that one, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any ideas on how to keep monologues fresh?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any ideas on how to keep monologues fresh?
    I find that actioning them really helps, and trying them in different ways.

I also work with a acting tutor on my pieces, and I find that really helpful, so would definitely suggest trying to see if there's a tutor near you that you could work with.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! I'll be applying to drama schools this year for MA/MFAs in Directing courses! I'm applying to Birkbeck's MFA Directing, Central's MFA Advanced Theatre Practice, East 15's MFA in Directing, Mountview and GSA's MAs as well.
    I'm an American who has a BFA in acting from a US drama school, and and MA in acting from RWCMD. Feel free to ask me any questions about the process for US auditions and/or MA acting programs!
    I've done interviews for three programs already. Currently waiting on dates for Central- anyone gotten a date from them yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ardenforest)
    Hi guys! I'll be applying to drama schools this year for MA/MFAs in Directing courses! I'm applying to Birkbeck's MFA Directing, Central's MFA Advanced Theatre Practice, East 15's MFA in Directing, Mountview and GSA's MAs as well.
    I'm an American who has a BFA in acting from a US drama school, and and MA in acting from RWCMD. Feel free to ask me any questions about the process for US auditions and/or MA acting programs!
    I've done interviews for three programs already. Currently waiting on dates for Central- anyone gotten a date from them yet?
    I'm still waiting on a date from Central also. Hopefully it won't be too much longer now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting on a date from Central also. Hopefully it won't be too much longer now.
    Fingers crossed it'll be soon! I think my email said mid-november they'd be sending out dates. I'll be coming from the states (unfortunately theres a 98% chance I won't be in town when they come to the NYC for auditions) so it may be a quick turn around time for me as I need to book flights and such!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ardenforest)
    I’m actually going to apply to Juilliard for the MFA I’ve decided. Will be submitting my application along with pre-screening video and essay this weekend. I found it so strange how for American drama schools it’s like applying to British universities as in they need an essay and transcripts and stuff. How important would you say the essay is? Surely, it’s mostly about talent on the audition and the essay is just a formality.

It’s a bit like with drama school interviews, as long as they can see that you are committed and have a genuine interest in acting then it’s not that important.

ReputationRep:
    I’m actually going to apply to Juilliard for the MFA I’ve decided. Will be submitting my application along with pre-screening video and essay this weekend. I found it so strange how for American drama schools it’s like applying to British universities as in they need an essay and transcripts and stuff. How important would you say the essay is? Surely, it’s mostly about talent on the audition and the essay is just a formality.

It’s a bit like with drama school interviews, as long as they can see that you are committed and have a genuine interest in acting then it’s not that important.
    Awesome! I’ve got a couple of friends doing the MFA there (and one who’s graduated) and they’ve loved it.
    I’d say overall, US admissions are more holistic but audition programs like Juilliard will always put the audition the highest priority. The essay is about showing your personality as well as showcasing anything that might not come up in the interview but you feel is important about you that you’d like them to know. I’d say 90-95% is the audition and the other 5-10% is everything else (scores, essays, etc)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.