MA Acting Entry 2018 Watch

Grape24
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by doll_parts)
What day of the week is your Bristol old vic audition?? My LAMDA audition is beginning of January even though I applied 1-2 weeks ago!

Mine is on a Tuesday. Luckily I can get to Bristol in just under an hour on the train, so I won't have to book the day off work. Hurrah!
Zango11
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello all!

Glad to have found this thread! I'm in my final year of studying a BA in drama and will audition for the MA courses in acting next year so entry 2019. Although I do plan on doing one, possibly two auditions for the 2018 round to get some needed experience of auditioning as it's been a while! I definitely need a break from education though ahaha! I'm hoping to try my luck and invite some agents along to my final year show at uni and then spend my first year as a grad working to save, act in a few things and then properly apply for the MA next year.

Love hearing about everyone's journeys! Anyone got any audition dates yet?
doll_parts
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Zango11)
Hello all!

Glad to have found this thread! I'm in my final year of studying a BA in drama and will audition for the MA courses in acting next year so entry 2019. Although I do plan on doing one, possibly two auditions for the 2018 round to get some needed experience of auditioning as it's been a while! I definitely need a break from education though ahaha! I'm hoping to try my luck and invite some agents along to my final year show at uni and then spend my first year as a grad working to save, act in a few things and then properly apply for the MA next year.

Love hearing about everyone's journeys! Anyone got any audition dates yet?
Hey!

So I have my ALRA, LAMDA, ArtsEd, Drama Studio all in January. I also decided to apply to Juilliard as a sort of why not and have been invited to a live audition after sending my pre-screening video. That's in January too! Until then I'm just trying to keep my monologues fresh whilst still practicing.

Just want December to hurry up!
Zango11
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

So I have my ALRA, LAMDA, ArtsEd, Drama Studio all in January. I also decided to apply to Juilliard as a sort of why not and have been invited to a live audition after sending my pre-screening video. That's in January too! Until then I'm just trying to keep my monologues fresh whilst still practicing.

That's exciting! Can't wait to hear all about your experiences, especially Juilliard. How long do you plan to stay in New York for after your audition? It'll be like a mini holiday, it would be so nice if it snowed!
ardenforest
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

I currently live in NYC, so if you (or anyone else doing NYC auditions) need any recommendations or anything, let me know!

Ahh I leave tomorrow for my Central audition/interview in London. Very excited/nervous as the guidance is a bit vague for MA ATP so I'm not sure what exactly to expect but I'm looking forward to it!
ardenforest
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello all! How's everyone getting on so far- how did your first auditions/interviews go, and how's the prep over the holidays going for the ones in the new year?
Grape24
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've had two auditions so far, and sadly wasn't recalled at either school. I actually felt I did okay with my speeches and was happy with how my song and sight reading went at Bristol. I guess I just wasn't what they were looking for, and that's fair enough. Got my next audition early next month at Central.
ardenforest
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm glad you were happy with how the song and sight reading went, no matter the outcome! I hope you like Central, I really really enjoyed my audition day there, and found it so fulfilling!
I've got 2 offers so far, which I'm super thrilled with, and have gotten 4 of 5 interviews/auditions done. I'm very excited to almost be done with the process of interviewing and to start the prep to move back over and get started!
Also, got to see Pinocchio at the National, and I highly recommend. Sat in the 3rd row mesmerized like a kid. So magical!
doll_parts
Rep:
?
Congratulations! Which two offers do you have if you don't mind me asking?
doll_parts
Rep:
?
(Original post by Grape24)
I've had two auditions so far, and sadly wasn't recalled at either school. I actually felt I did okay with my speeches and was happy with how my song and sight reading went at Bristol. I guess I just wasn't what they were looking for, and that's fair enough. Got my next audition early next month at Central.
My audition for central is early next month too! I still am yet to audition anywhere, my auditions are quite jam packed into January.
ardenforest
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congratulations! Which two offers do you have if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks! My courses are all for directing or equivalents, but East 15 and Central (MFA ATP)!
doll_parts
Rep:
?
(Original post by ardenforest)
Thanks! My courses are all for directing or equivalents, but East 15 and Central (MFA ATP)!
Congratulations!!

Which one are you most likely to choose?
ardenforest
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Congratulations!!

Which one are you most likely to choose?
Thank you! I'm really thrilled with both, but I loved the day at Central, and I can really see myself there. I still have one more to go (if I get an invitation to interview) at Birkbeck, and I absolutely love that course as well. But no matter what, I feel good about the courses and will be happy and will be able to do what I want to do at either.
swara_in
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello all,

I am from Mumbai, India, and will be applying for the MA Acting course in a couple of universities. Being an international student, I have one question. Do I need a portfolio to show the universities while applying? Also, can someone please help me find a contemporary monologue, especially because I dont have access to books in the libraries here that can provide me with British plays. I have learnt Blanche DuBois' Monologue from A Streetcar Named Desire, but I'm not sure if it fits in the contemporary monologue section anymore.

Please do help me gain some insights regarding the contemporary monologues )
Grape24
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by swara_in)
Hello all,

I am from Mumbai, India, and will be applying for the MA Acting course in a couple of universities. Being an international student, I have one question. Do I need a portfolio to show the universities while applying? Also, can someone please help me find a contemporary monologue, especially because I dont have access to books in the libraries here that can provide me with British plays. I have learnt Blanche DuBois' Monologue from A Streetcar Named Desire, but I'm not sure if it fits in the contemporary monologue section anymore.

I'm not sure if you would need a portfolio. It's usually just based solely on the audition, but it may be different for international students. Best to check the school's websites to make sure.

I think Blanche from Streetcar would still be classed as a contemporary monologue. It's hard to recommend a play/monologue. Maybe have a look at plays that the National Theatre and the Royal Court have recently staged. Try reading reviews or looking at photos from the production to see if there is possibly a character you could play.

Have you also thought about ordering a monologue book, which lists different contemporary monologues for female actors?
doll_parts
Rep:
?
(Original post by swara_in)
Hello all,

It's different for every school but I'm 100% sure you do not require a portfolio. It's only based on audition + interview + maybe references.

As for contemporary monologues its hard to recommend when I don't know your age, gender, strengths and just what kind of monologue you would connect with.

I did an audition technique course and they said to avoid choosing iconic monologues such as Blanche from Streetcar + you would have to do the accent since Tennesse Williams only ever works in a Southern Accent.

Also, some schools do not count Tennessee Williams as contemporary if the play has to be post-1980s.

Like Grape24 said, I suggest you read as many contemporary plays as possible. Some good writers are Dennis Kelley, Caryl Churchill, Mike Bartlett, Patrick Mahrber, Alan Ball.
swara_in
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, I think I will have to buy a monologue book, but then the problem with those books are they don’t have the entire plays.... Anyway, I will first buy the book and then depending on the monologues I like, I will buy a copy of the play. Thanks
swara_in
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's different for every school but I'm 100% sure you do not require a portfolio. It's only based on audition + interview + maybe references.

As for contemporary monologues its hard to recommend when I don't know your age, gender, strengths and just what kind of monologue you would connect with.

I did an audition technique course and they said to avoid choosing iconic monologues such as Blanche from Streetcar + you would have to do the accent since Tennesse Williams only ever works in a Southern Accent.

Also, some schools do not count Tennessee Williams as contemporary if the play has to be post-1980s.

Like Grape24 said, I suggest you read as many contemporary plays as possible. Some good writers are Dennis Kelley, Caryl Churchill, Mike Bartlett, Patrick Mahrber, Alan Ball.

Hey, thanks a lot! This has given me a lot of clarity as to which playwrights’ works I should look at! Also, I am relieved to hear that I don’t need a portfolio...
And yes, Blache being a very popular character and having a strong Southern Accent, was one of my main concerns, but then I just couldn’t find any proper monologues since I haven’t watched any British plays and there are very few monologues available online... Plus, I’m already quite late so I resorted for Blanche!
But now I guess I’ll have to buy the books by these playwrights and start preparing a few extra monologues! Better late than never!!!
doll_parts
Rep:
?
Started an audition experience blog if anyone is interested https://masteringdramaschool.blogspot.com/
Grape24
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Started an audition experience blog if anyone is interested https://masteringdramaschool.blogspot.com/
That was really interesting to read! I hadn't thought about applying to ALRA, but after reading your experience of the audition, I'm now considering it. I like that the audition comprises of a whole day, rather than just doing your speeches and leaving.

Also, have you thought about applying to Royal Welsh college of music and drama and Royal conservatoire of Scotland? They both do really good MA courses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (114)
17.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (111)
17.16%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (96)
14.84%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (194)
29.98%

Watched Threads