The Student Room Group

MA Acting Entry 2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Grape24
That was really interesting to read! I hadn't thought about applying to ALRA, but after reading your experience of the audition, I'm now considering it. I like that the audition comprises of a whole day, rather than just doing your speeches and leaving.

Also, have you thought about applying to Royal Welsh college of music and drama and Royal conservatoire of Scotland? They both do really good MA courses.

Yeah they are both really good schools. I have friends that went to Royal Welsh and now doing really great things. The problem is the fact they are out of London. I am lucky enough to have my family home in London so I would live at home rent-free during drama school.

I've applied for Bristol Old Vic and Oxford School of Drama although they are not in London sort of as exceptions. Bristol is Bristol! I really love the school and its rep is so great I would go if I got accepted. As for Oxford, I am just in love with Claire Foy and the school itself is just really attractive to me since I know a couple of people who went there and they have nothing but good stuff to say about it.

I would probably choose any London school I've applied to over any out of London school (except Juilliard lol) since living rent-free would really be too great to turn down.
Original post by doll_parts
Yeah they are both really good schools. I have friends that went to Royal Welsh and now doing really great things. The problem is the fact they are out of London. I am lucky enough to have my family home in London so I would live at home rent-free during drama school.

I've applied for Bristol Old Vic and Oxford School of Drama although they are not in London sort of as exceptions. Bristol is Bristol! I really love the school and its rep is so great I would go if I got accepted. As for Oxford, I am just in love with Claire Foy and the school itself is just really attractive to me since I know a couple of people who went there and they have nothing but good stuff to say about it.

I would probably choose any London school I've applied to over any out of London school (except Juilliard lol) since living rent-free would really be too great to turn down.

I know Im biased because I did the MA at RWCMD but, I think it's such a great course! If the location putting you off has anything to do with the industry, theres no reason to worry about that- they make a huge effort to bring the industry to them for shows and showcases and Cardiff/Wales has great things going for it. Also, its no living rent-free, but the rent prices in Cardiff were great, and you definitely do not have to live in the halls ( I didn't). Was very much spoiled in Cardiff as now I'm in NYC and everything is SO expensive :frown: To be fair I have no idea what the rent prices are like in Oxford or Bristol. ( I did have a friend do the 2 year course at Bristol and she really enjoyed it).
Reply 42
Original post by ardenforest
I know Im biased because I did the MA at RWCMD but, I think it's such a great course! If the location putting you off has anything to do with the industry, theres no reason to worry about that- they make a huge effort to bring the industry to them for shows and showcases and Cardiff/Wales has great things going for it. Also, its no living rent-free, but the rent prices in Cardiff were great, and you definitely do not have to live in the halls ( I didn't). Was very much spoiled in Cardiff as now I'm in NYC and everything is SO expensive :frown: To be fair I have no idea what the rent prices are like in Oxford or Bristol. ( I did have a friend do the 2 year course at Bristol and she really enjoyed it).

I live in Cardiff and can definitely vouch for the fact that it has great things going for it, and a really vibrant theatre scene.

RWCMD is probably my #1 choice of school, not just because of that, but because I've heard great things about the teaching at the school from people who have been there, and I've also watched a few of their final year shows now, and they've all (bar one) been brilliant. I was pleasantly surprised by the high production values, and they hire some really good directors to do the shows. Their recent production of Simon Stephens' Punk Rock was fantastic.

Next month will be my third time auditioning for them, and I've got my fingers crossed it will be third time lucky! Interestingly this year they've changed the requirements for first round auditions for both BA and MA Acting courses. You now have to perform two contemporary pieces, and you only do a classical if you attend a recall.
How's it been going so far for everyone? I know auditions have been picking up after the new year began!
Reply 44
How's it been going so far for everyone? I know auditions have been picking up after the new year began!

So tired of all of them!

Waiting to attend a few recalls, I have two offers and OXSD rejected me after the first recall! What about you?
So tired of all of them!

Waiting to attend a few recalls, I have two offers and OXSD rejected me after the first recall! What about you?

Awesome, congrats! I’ve been reading your blog, it’s really interesting!
Ita going well, I have my two offers in hand then still waiting to hear if I am invited to interview at my last school, but should hear within the week!
Hello hello!

I was wondering if anyone who auditioned for LAMDA on the 20th of January (last Saturday) has heard back regarding recalls? I know they say 2-3 weeks, but it seems they generally announce it earlier if they want to see you again...

xx
Reply 47
Original post by insolitoblue
Hello hello!

I was wondering if anyone who auditioned for LAMDA on the 20th of January (last Saturday) has heard back regarding recalls? I know they say 2-3 weeks, but it seems they generally announce it earlier if they want to see you again...

xx

Hey, I had my LAMDA audition on 7th Jan (Sunday) and heard back on 9th Jan. I had my second audition yesterday on 28th Jan and I'm hoping to hear back this week. I read a blog where the girl didn't hear back until 5 days later but that is the longest I've heard of...

You never really know in these cases, I know it's hard to wait but it's a necessary evil
Reply 48
Anyone had an audition date for Drama Centre yet? I sent off my application in November, and it's almost February now and still haven't received one. :/
Original post by Grape24
Anyone had an audition date for Drama Centre yet? I sent off my application in November, and it's almost February now and still haven't received one. :/

Hey! I think you should email them to check they received it...I sent my application late in December and received an audition date 3 weeks later. Best of luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey, I had my LAMDA audition on 7th Jan (Sunday) and heard back on 9th Jan. I had my second audition yesterday on 28th Jan and I'm hoping to hear back this week. I read a blog where the girl didn't hear back until 5 days later but that is the longest I've heard of...

You never really know in these cases, I know it's hard to wait but it's a necessary evil

Thank you! Yes, so true, the waiting is a necessary evil...
On a different note, I love reading your blog! :-)
Reply 51
Original post by Grape24

Hey

I applied in November and they took ages to send me a date!
I ended up sending them an email asking which I had no response to but in the end they sent me a date. I had mine on Saturday. They seem to be really poor with organisation.
Reply 52
Original post by insolitoblue
Thank you! Yes, so true, the waiting is a necessary evil...
On a different note, I love reading your blog! :-)

Literally have my emails open ALL DAY.

Thank you! I try to make them personal but not too personal because you want to know the format of the day in general. Comment + Subscribe! Experiences for Drama Centre and LAMDA Second Round are coming up soon.
Sorry for jumping on the thread, but just dropping in and thought I could offer something of interest. All these schools are great schools as discussed, the only question I have with the MA route is whether you are looking for a performance or academic journey/career afterwards? I only ask as there are a number of alternative and attractive options out there for post graduate students to explore if they are looking to work professionally as an actor or theatre maker upon graduation. Post graduates coming through our training here in London tend to be very successful in going on to work extensively in the industry via our accelerated two year actor training programme, an MA in everything but name, it is a vocational actor training programme with over 3190 contact hours over two years. I just thought I'd drop in a link here for your reference should it be of any interest at all.

http://www.fourthmonkey.co.uk/training/prospectus/

If so, feel free to get in touch via the website with any queries and if not, the best of luck with your auditions and onward careers! Best of luck to everyone auditioning.

Fourth Monkey
Hey everyone, I just heard back from LAMDA - invited for a second interview! Just wanted to update because I was sure I wouldn't be invited back because my audition was a while ago (20th of Jan), but it seems sometimes there are exceptions. Best of luck to all :-) xx
Reply 55
Hi everyone. just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Long story short, i've done a science degree then went on to do another science degree in the field I thought i wanted to be in. Turns out i did not want to be there so i dropped out! after lots of re-evaluating my life in the past years i decided to really have a go at acting, somethings i'd really enjoyed in school but never really took any further due to science 'commitments'.

I've been taking acting classes with a very good teacher and I thoroughly enjoyed the intro course so i'm now doing the Adult Continuation Course. again, i'm really enjoying it and learning so much every week. Whilst i want to get working, having such little background is making it hard for me to find any work especially when trying to sign up for sites like Mandy etc. and i'm starting to really consider going back to uni to get a solid grounding in acting. I love to write and really enjoy all aspects in the making of visual storytelling, I know that's where i'm going to end up in my life, be it in TV, film or video games. But the acting itch in me keeps getting stronger and stronger and I'm starting to think I want to study acting on a university level. My resume is rubbish and i'm working on that, getting volunteer work in the industry, writing my own work to self shoot and applying for student film auditions.

Anyways I hope all your auditions go amazing, it's very late so i'm probably not going to apply this year (but what's the harm if i still have time with some uni's i guess?) and will probably work and save to apply for 2019 entry with more of an acting backbone and resume.
Reply 56
Original post by thesper
Hi everyone. just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. Long story short, i've done a science degree then went on to do another science degree in the field I thought i wanted to be in. Turns out i did not want to be there so i dropped out! after lots of re-evaluating my life in the past years i decided to really have a go at acting, somethings i'd really enjoyed in school but never really took any further due to science 'commitments'.

I've been taking acting classes with a very good teacher and I thoroughly enjoyed the intro course so i'm now doing the Adult Continuation Course. again, i'm really enjoying it and learning so much every week. Whilst i want to get working, having such little background is making it hard for me to find any work especially when trying to sign up for sites like Mandy etc. and i'm starting to really consider going back to uni to get a solid grounding in acting. I love to write and really enjoy all aspects in the making of visual storytelling, I know that's where i'm going to end up in my life, be it in TV, film or video games. But the acting itch in me keeps getting stronger and stronger and I'm starting to think I want to study acting on a university level. My resume is rubbish and i'm working on that, getting volunteer work in the industry, writing my own work to self shoot and applying for student film auditions.

Anyways I hope all your auditions go amazing, it's very late so i'm probably not going to apply this year (but what's the harm if i still have time with some uni's i guess?) and will probably work and save to apply for 2019 entry with more of an acting backbone and resume.

Hi thesper! Welcome to the discussion.

I did the a science degree too so I know the feeling! It's definitely really important, now more than ever for actors to create their own work. I'm not sure if it is too late to apply. For 3 and 2 year courses I think it defo too late since your first round probs won't be until April or something but for one year courses I don't think it is necessarily too late for apply. To apply for these schools you don't need to have a really full resume btw. The talent they see on the day is the most important thing but it is always good to rack up experience, professional or not.
Hey guys! Found out a few days ago I got invited to interview at my last school, which is really awesome. It's a very intense weekend though, so doing lots of prep work! Hope you all are doing well. I know it's a lot of waiting- hang in there! :smile:
Reply 58
Hey guys! Found out a few days ago I got invited to interview at my last school, which is really awesome. It's a very intense weekend though, so doing lots of prep work! Hope you all are doing well. I know it's a lot of waiting- hang in there! :smile:

Congrats! Wish you the best of luck with your interview. I’ve got my Drama Studio audition tomorrow.
Reply 59
Just wanted to jump in and say I bit the bullet and decided to apply for September entry, I know it’s late but there are some late deadlines for some courses and I know I want to do this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending