Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduates - are you embarrassed about your income? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you think your graduate salary is fair?
    Yes, definitely!
    13.76%
    Meh, it's okay
    43.56%
    No, I'm underpaid
    42.68%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    A recent study by Satsuma has revealed that over two thirds of graduates feel they're underpaid and 46% say they're embarrassed about their starting salary. :shh:

Half feel that starting salaries are not at all in line with the cost of living, regardless of geographical variances in living costs, and 49% say they live(d) with parents during their first graduate job, just to sustain themselves until their first pay rise. :shy2:

Are you on a much lower salary than you expected to be post-university?

Are you embarrassed to tell others how much you earn?

Or maybe you're on much higher than expected? :smug:

If you're still at uni, do you think you'll be on a decent amount when you graduate?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't graduated yet, but I'm very pleased and satisfied with my graduate offer when I come out of uni
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discobish)
    A recent study by Satsuma has revealed that over two thirds of graduates feel they're underpaid and 46% say they're embarrassed about their starting salary. :shh:

Half feel that starting salaries are not at all in line with the cost of living, regardless of geographical variances in living costs, and 49% say they live(d) with parents during their first graduate job, just to sustain themselves until their first pay rise. :shy2:

Or maybe you're on much higher than expected? :smug:

If you're still at uni, do you think you'll be on a decent amount when you graduate?
    Money is not the most important thing in the world. Love is. Fortunately, I love money
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I tell people what I earn if they ask. Happy with my salary too.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy to tell people what I earn; I'm quite fortunate that the sector I'm in is fairly well paid, so my salary is more than I'd expected for a first time job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    What do you earn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    What do you earn?

ReputationRep:
    i think grads who say underpaid are entitled ******s. you're not special you're just like all the thousands others graduate and end of the day you accepted the job. only ones who deserve to complain are nhs doctors, nurses, all that lot

ReputationRep:
    Although i'm still in uni, I do have thoughts about whether going into teaching is actually a good idea or not.

NQT and RQT earn around £22K. It isn't a lot if you consider everything they have done/do:
    Degree/PGCE
    Placements (experience)
    Planning lessons
    Marking work
    Parents evening
    Training- CPD, Health & Safety, Safeguarding etc
    Other admin work
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't earn particularly much but it's ok given what I'm actually expected to do at work and my lack of experience. I'll take the low stress, reliable job over higher income.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I was in my first job and I was definitely jealous of those who live with their parents for a while after they graduate. I was screwed first as I was in a city on my own. But 12 months after graduating I changed jobs and got a very nice pay rise.

Nope.

Or maybe you're on much higher than expected?
    I'd like to be on slightly more, but I like to think that my £k = age. At the moment I'm earning more than my age, and will probably get a decent pay rise once my part time masters is over with.

ReputationRep:
    My first graduate role paid £15.5k back then (£19k now). Looking back it seems low but back then I'd never had so much money!

ReputationRep:
    Considering what I do, without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    No, more angry about it.

ReputationRep:
    My starting salary will certainly be enough to live on comfortably, and for that I'm grateful, but I can't help but feel that I could be paid more.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm happy. At the end of the day, anything I have is because of God having given it. i'm not complaining since I don't deserve anything. People are living on far less. I'm here to serve God and the community, any pay I get in return I'm happy with

ReputationRep:
    I've already got my PhD placement lined up for next september, 15K a year, it's more than my student finance now so I'll hopefully manage but it just seems so small especially compared to some of the graduate jobs I've seen for company based med-chem research

ReputationRep:
    just shows how ungrateful people can be. As long as it's enough for a little place to live and some food it's fine. The average grad salary of £29000 is definitely fine

ReputationRep:
    Don't know why they're embarrassed. I'm sure they all thought carefully before embarking upon their degrees and made the most of their time at university :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's reasonable considering the hours and tasks involved.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.