Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduates - are you embarrassed about your income? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you think your graduate salary is fair?
    Yes, definitely!
    13.76%
    Meh, it's okay
    43.56%
    No, I'm underpaid
    42.68%

• TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm a biology graduate and starting work as a HCA in the Critical Care Unit in my local hospital, with a wage very low for a graduate. I'm not embarrassed, it's going to be valuable for me as it will provide me with experience for my future hopeful NHS job plans

If I could go back in time I'd have picked a healthcare degree outright, but this is the last area I thought I'd ever want to work in when I was 17.

ReputationRep:
    I envy anyone that knows what they want to do at 17. I only really fully decided when I was mid 20s.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Certainly not embarrassed. Coming from a modest background, my offer of more than 40k for a grad job which requires standard 9-5 working hours sounds absolutely incredible to me! Plus there’s the signing bonus.

But there are some caveats,. For starters, it’s the same rate I was paid for my internship, so it represents a real terms pay cut. And our main rival firm is offering the equivalent graduates £14k extra... So yeah, I’m a lot less happy than I should be given the exorbitant amounts of money we’re talking about here. I feel like a completely out of touch **** even typing this!

Obviously this is in London. But what I’m also starting to think about is whether it’s worth getting a modest pay check in a cheaper area like the Midlands :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)
    Certainly not embarrassed. Coming from a modest background, my offer of more than 40k for a grad job which requires standard 9-5 working hours sounds absolutely incredible to me! Plus there’s the signing bonus.

But there are some caveats,. For starters, it’s the same rate I was paid for my internship, so it represents a real terms pay cut. And our main rival firm is offering the equivalent graduates £14k extra... So yeah, I’m a lot less happy than I should be given the exorbitant amounts of money we’re talking about here. I feel like a completely out of touch **** even typing this!

Obviously this is in London. But what I’m also starting to think about is whether it’s worth getting a modest pay check in a cheaper area like the Midlands :dontknow:
    Where do you work to earn that kind of bank?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexjones1994)
    Where do you work to earn that kind of bank?
    A bank
    In my sector (technology/ soft eng/ etc.) the salaries pretty much anywhere are pretty great. The investment banks are near the high point of that scale though.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarred)

Damn!

ReputationRep:
    is 50k a decent starting salary in London?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.