Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Long story short, there's a guy I'd like to meet up with again. We met during seasonal work during the summer, and we've exchanged a few texts since that work finished. I miss him, but I'm not feeling very romantic; I don't mind either way. I mean, it would be nice to date, but if it remains platonic I'm quite happy. He lives about 3 hours away by train, and I'm not going to turn up in the city randomly so I figured I'd ask him out?

People say it's always good to have an itinerary in mind before asking, but I don't know the city and it sounds odd to me to ask someone 3 hours away to meet for a drink. What do I suggest?

I intend to be the one travelling, mind - do I point that out?

If I call, what do I say? If I reach voicemail?

And if I opt to text, then what? I drafted a "I'm just going to put this out there - would you like to meet for a drink sometime? No pressure, but I haven't travelled north for a while.."

ReputationRep:
    You can always ask him to give you a tour around the city since you would like to visit and it would also be nice to see him. I'm sure he will get the hint.

(Original post by GreenBell)
    You can always ask him to give you a tour around the city since you would like to visit and it would also be nice to see him. I'm sure he will get the hint.
    I hadn't thought of that!
    Do you think I should go via text or call, though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I hadn't thought of that!
    Do you think I should go via text or call, though?
    That depends on what you prefer. I prefer texting but if you two have spoken on the phone before then I don't see anything wrong with that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.