irshafy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've got an offer letter from Oxford Brookes University. How good is the uni? How much value does a degree obtained from this uni have? Does this uni have a great campus?
Advertisement
AspiringUnderdog
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by irshafy)
I've got an offer letter from Oxford Brookes University. How good is the uni? How much value does a degree obtained from this uni have? Does this uni have a great campus?
if you go you can tell your friends that you went to Oxford.
irshafy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
if you go you can tell your friends that you went to Oxford.
LOL.
Advertisement
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi @irsahfy,

I’m an Oxford Brookes graduate, I graduated with a combined honours degree in Communications, Media and Culture & International Relations.

I found Oxford to be an incredibly inviting environment for me to be in as a student. It was my first time in the UK as an international student and I couldn’t have asked for a better city in terms of things to do, places to see and people to meet.

In terms of the value of a degree obtained.

In my experience that really truly is up to how much value I put on myself as a graduate. I studied communications but the university offered so many opportunities to complement that. I worked closely with the Brookes Radio Society, found varying internships during my summers, went on an exchange to Japan for a semester and worked as a blogger and writer. My degree very much comes into consideration when I’ve applied to jobs, but it is only one aspect of my application.

Lastly, our campus is great! I found the facilities to be one of the best part of studying here, there are so many beautiful study spaces with computers and resources of all kinds. If you need help with essays you have Upgrade, if you need help from lecturers they all have office hours, there are books aplenty and an even wider e-library you can access everywhere. Check out the Oxford Brookes instagram to see some of these facilities from up close.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to let me know!

Best wishes,

Abigail Jose
aaabbbb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
generally its ok but if you want help from services like student central/student accomadation then forget it.These people are absolutely useless and I feel sorry for another who has to deal with them.
Advertisement
Texxers
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oxford Brookes is basically Oxford so it's great.
aaabbbb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
not that great..if you need help from student centralmost other services you will be wasting you time.Do not bother..You are on your own.If your going through a tough time in you personal life.The university will not be at al sympathic towards you .So you'll just have to get on with things.
Advertisement
Egyabdo
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Oxford Brookes University)
Hi @irsahfy,

I’m an Oxford Brookes graduate, I graduated with a combined honours degree in Communications, Media and Culture & International Relations.

I found Oxford to be an incredibly inviting environment for me to be in as a student. It was my first time in the UK as an international student and I couldn’t have asked for a better city in terms of things to do, places to see and people to meet.

In terms of the value of a degree obtained.

In my experience that really truly is up to how much value I put on myself as a graduate. I studied communications but the university offered so many opportunities to complement that. I worked closely with the Brookes Radio Society, found varying internships during my summers, went on an exchange to Japan for a semester and worked as a blogger and writer. My degree very much comes into consideration when I’ve applied to jobs, but it is only one aspect of my application.

Lastly, our campus is great! I found the facilities to be one of the best part of studying here, there are so many beautiful study spaces with computers and resources of all kinds. If you need help with essays you have Upgrade, if you need help from lecturers they all have office hours, there are books aplenty and an even wider e-library you can access everywhere. Check out the Oxford Brookes instagram to see some of these facilities from up close.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to let me know!

Best wishes,

Abigail Jose
If you don’t mind, I’d like to chat with you
aaabbbb
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah sure what about!
Advertisement
AMIR.H
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
how is international business and what campuses do oxford brookes have abroad
Oxford Brookes Student Ambassadors
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AMIR.H)
how is international business and what campuses do oxford brookes have abroad
Hi there!

You can find out more about our international business management course here: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/un...ss-management/
And our international links here: https://www.brookes.ac.uk/international/

If you need anymore help please get in touch
All the best,
Catrin
Student Ambassador
Advertisement
Kandiman
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm a second year at Brookes and, honestly, I have a few regrets about choosing to go here. I feel like my course was oversold at the open day, the Union is arguably the weakest in the country and on-site facilities aren't that great. Need a computer? Say a little prayer before going in the library. Need a coffee? Be prepared to queue and pay over the odds. Meals on campus? Avoid. The food is terrible. There's a pub just down the road that's cheaper for marginally better quality. The one shop on-site is well-stocked but understaffed often.

It does have its positives, though. The choice of societies is good, the people are good, you can play damn near every sport under the sun and if you choose to get into extracurricular stuff, it can be super rewarding.

As for employment opportunities? Well, I'm currently applying for summer internships and I feel like I'm swimming into a riptide. A few people have been receptive, but I'm relying on my non-academic skills for support. I know others without my background are struggling though.

So, all-in-all, it's decent, nothing special. You're going to have to work ten times harder than you would at a Russel Group uni to get respect in the employment market, but it isn't impossible.
roostr
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mmmm i dont consider it great at all, I considered switching unis. But the city is super beautiful and diverse!! I like the city a lot The uni itself is alright :/ accommodation and other services are quite bad so I’m not sure! I’m not a fan of the few buildings there are (like my health care faculty) but come and visit and see the city and uni aesthetic I guess!
Advertisement
Geo55
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by aaabbbb)
generally its ok but if you want help from services like student central/student accomadation then forget it.These people are absolutely useless and I feel sorry for another who has to deal with them.
+1. They constantly mis advise people and couldn't care less. Even for the odd course that Brookes does well such as automotive, I'd still seriously consider going elsewhere on the basis of the overall incompetence of the staff.
Akuma
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The Oxford Brookes student union constantly polls as one of the worst in the country. I suspect this is the cause of many of the issues that are so commonly highlighted at Brookes. There's nobody likely to hold staff to account for negligence and malpractice. It's at the point where staff can openly go against the regulations and then just shrug and say "complain if you like". They know nothing will happen. A complaint I made was found justified and yet nothing was done to rectify the problem. Others complained too, about the same staff member, and nothing was done. She's still there, no doubt still being abusive and still the subject of constant complaints.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
All these posts got me curious as to what is so bad about the Oxford Brookes uni haha
Had visited the uni a little while ago although not on a visit day or campus tour. Just visited the city and uni, seemed decent and loads of shops too! I'm courious now; are there a lot of mature students at the university or would I find students aged 18-25 there?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (295)
55.87%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.13%

Watched Threads