Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Psychology dissertation help!!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For my dissertation I want to do a qualitative study to look into student experiences of university (mainly looking at mental health wellbeing) in relation to how financially stable they are. So asking questions such as “what are the most important things to you to spend your money on and why”, “do you feel like you miss out on social events due to money” etc.
    I was planning on doing an online questionnaire so I could get around 50 responses. I met with my supervisor yesterday and she really confused me! Does my idea sound doable? She said to do around 6 interviews with all 6 participants having different finance. Surely this is overcomplicating my idea? Can someone give me some advice please because she’s sort of shot me down and now I feel like scrapping the idea altogether!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickels96)
    For my dissertation I want to do a qualitative study to look into student experiences of university (mainly looking at mental health wellbeing) in relation to how financially stable they are. So asking questions such as “what are the most important things to you to spend your money on and why”, “do you feel like you miss out on social events due to money” etc.
    I was planning on doing an online questionnaire so I could get around 50 responses. I met with my supervisor yesterday and she really confused me! Does my idea sound doable? She said to do around 6 interviews with all 6 participants having different finance. Surely this is overcomplicating my idea? Can someone give me some advice please because she’s sort of shot me down and now I feel like scrapping the idea altogether!
    Hi Nickels96

That sounds like a really interesting topic, what made you choose this?

In relation to what your tutor has said, I can see where she's coming from. I think her main concern with you using an online questionnaire to gain around 50 participants will limit the quality of responses from the people taking your questionnaire, such as only putting one word answers or ignoring question entirely.

Another problem may be that you find the vast majority of people may be in a similar financial situation so you would struggle to pull together any meaningful insights for other income brackets which would limit your research.

I think what your tutor means, is through identifying 6 participants all from different income brackets you will be able to gain an equal level of insight across all income brackets, and with a face to face interview respondents will be much more receptive to questions and hopefully give you a higher quality answer!

It's something to consider at least, perhaps do a little research, see what you think and then you could always go back to your tutor to settle on a compromise if you really don't want to do this.

I hope this has helped a little? Let me know how you get on or if you have any other questions.

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

ReputationRep:
    Being an academic writer who has helped students write several dissertations, I find your topic interesting. If I got you right, you are analyzing the effect of Financial stability on Mental wellbeing among students.

There are two ways you can go about it.

1. Make it a mixed research dissertation where you do both interviews and questionnaires. The interviews will collect purely qualitative data while the Questionnaire will be a mixed one. In the questionnaire, consider a question on the student's income (whether from parents or other side jobs). This way you will be able to relate their well being to the income. The income as a foundation question will cure your professor's concern.

The interviews could be either on student leaders, University hospital, department of counselling, the dean of students or any other faculty member who deals with students frequently. To me interviewing students will not bring out the contrast as needed.

2. You can make it purely qualitative and do only the interviews. In this case, you must take both students and the experts as interviewees.

Questionnaires can work only if the questionnaires have both qualitative and quantitative aspects

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.