Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So currently I'm taking a-levels with the intention to pursue a degree in chemistry. However, I'm a bit conflicted because people have been telling me that chemical engineering is a much more exciting degree. I'm not sure because I would really love to do research in chemistry rather than produce chemicals on big scale.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do not listen to other people, if you are passionate about something take that instead , you will be much better off in the future .
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Just do what you want to do. There is no point in doing a degree that others say is exiting if it isn't what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Chemical engineering has very little actual chemistry, it's about constructing and transporting chemicals in a safe way etc.
    If you want to do real chemistry and learn about reactions, kinetics, metals etc. then a straight chemistry degree is better (and just as exciting, labs are both scary and fun!)

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks for the replies! I really hope I can work towards an actual chemistry degree, and hopefully do research that can change the world!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Nabeelkkb)
    Wow thanks for the replies! I really hope I can work towards an actual chemistry degree, and hopefully do research that can change the world!
    If you would like to go into research, definitely try to get into academia/research organizations as early as you can through placements and the like!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.