Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m really struggling with work and university at the moment.
    I work at Morrisons and despite being on an 8 hour contract, I’m made to work 20+ hours a week on top of 30+hrs of uni and studying every day. I messed up uni last year and its crucial I work hard this year but it’s almost impossible because of my work. It’s a 45 minute drive away and I’m in for minimum 6hrs shifts, but recently it’s been 9 hour shifts. I have no time to study and by the time I’m finished work I’m knackered and fall asleep.
    I have spoken to them but they say they’re not changing it and that I need to help them out and the only way I can change it is if I get people to swap with me (it’s almost impossible because everyone’s hours are rotten). They are also protected by the law as they “reserve the right to alter your hours whenever the company needs to”. It feels like exploitation, they never ask me to do any - I just check the rota and it says 20hrs.
    I have rent to pay and my student loan wouldn’t cover it alone. I have been applying for other jobs but with no avail so far. My anxiety is at the worst it’s ever been and I’m suffering from panic attacks at night frequently. I don’t know what to do , I’m so scared of failing uni but I also can’t give my job up.
    I feel really depressed and let down.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    First of all, I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time with your work! Honestly, I would say leave that job ASAP, it's good that you're looking for other jobs - they should not be making you work excess hours, especially not when you've expressed concern over how it may be affecting your uni work. They may reserve the right to alter hours, but they also have to make contact with you about it, not just let you stumble across it on the rota.

I don't know if you have anyone at the university that you can talk to? My uni had people who would specifically help with any job related concerns and even the wellbeing team might be able to help you prove a point to your employers. Plus I expect your uni has a money advice team who could be really helpful to you if the only thing stopping you from leaving work is money. The fact that all of this has worsened your anxiety (and is bringing about panic attacks at night) indicates that you need to talk to someone. The fear of failing uni never really goes away, even when you're doing okay.

I really hope the situation improves for you soon.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for your advice, I didn’t even think to see if there was a service to help me at uni so I’ll get right onto that!!

ReputationRep:
    If your uni can't help and you don't have any friends/family that can lend you money then I'd look into getting a loan. It's silly to work hard for 3-5 years and build up a load of debt only to mess up your degree and have little to show for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.