Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

does anyone know the average mark for section 1 of the HAA (History Admissions Assessment multiple choice)? I saw somewhere on here that it is about 50% which is 18 out of 36, this seems really low? Does anyone know what they would usually expect and what is above or below average?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ntnm99)
    Hi all,

does anyone know the average mark for section 1 of the HAA (History Admissions Assessment multiple choice)? I saw somewhere on here that it is about 50% which is 18 out of 36, this seems really low? Does anyone know what they would usually expect and what is above or below average?
    Thanks
    It was loads higher than 50% for the 2016 paper; looking at the score conversion you needed to get 25/36 to score 4.0 which was the average mark that year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    It was loads higher than 50% for the 2016 paper; looking at the score conversion you needed to get 25/36 to score 4.0 which was the average mark that year.
    thank you! How did you know 4.0 was the average mark that year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ntnm99)
    thank you! How did you know 4.0 was the average mark that year?
    It's been mentioned in a couple of the 'Ask an Admissions Tutor' threads that the marks are scaled so that 4.0 is the average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    Damn, I got 22/36 each time which does not look good on score.. a tad worried now haha.

What have you guys been doing other than the spec and last years one? Oxford admissions must have some sort of reading comprehension right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cae5)
    Damn, I got 22/36 each time which does not look good on score.. a tad worried now haha.

What have you guys been doing other than the spec and last years one? Oxford admissions must have some sort of reading comprehension right?
    I wouldn't worry, I asked a Christ college admissions tutor about the HAA and they said that because it's only the 2nd year of using it, that it's not really important to them yet. It's only properly looked at when an applicant does really really good or really really bad. So if you score from around 45%-65% it won't even impact your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    I wouldn't worry, I asked a Christ college admissions tutor about the HAA and they said that because it's only the 2nd year of using it, that it's not really important to them yet. It's only properly looked at when an applicant does really really good or really really bad. So if you score from around 45%-65% it won't even impact your application.
    Honestly, that's what I'm hoping... I seem to seriously suck at the first and third task and then ace the other two.. is seriously weird.

Being on a gap year and having already received my grades I guess I'm just worried about this as its one of the few things that for me is up to chance (other than the interview).

Do you think it's worth redoing the same ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cae5)
    Honestly, that's what I'm hoping... I seem to seriously suck at the first and third task and then ace the other two.. is seriously weird.

Being on a gap year and having already received my grades I guess I'm just worried about this as its one of the few things that for me is up to chance (other than the interview).

Do you think it's worth redoing the same ones?
    I am also on a gap year so I understand. I have only done the specimen paper as I'm saving the 2016 paper for the next few days, but I did the specimen so long ago that I don't remember it so I might re-do it. I'm quite consistent across every section but not amazing overall, I got 27/36 on the specimen which is decent, but I'm sure many people get better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cae5)

I got the same mark! And I've been trying my hand at the HAT paper too to polish my analytical skills, the HSPSA also has something similar to the HAA section 1, so that might be worth looking at

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.