Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Multiple Personality Disorder and Crime Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To convict or not? Let's assume first-degree murder, just so there's a flake of context.

So I want your opinions on whether crimes committed by an MPD individual's 'multiple' (i.e. a personality from their array of personalities) should be prosecuted as a crime from that person?

Factors to consider, amongst many I may miss off:
    - The 'main' or given personality of that person is not aware that their multiple is acting in a criminal manner.

- The alter ego has malicious intent.

- The 'Original' is present at the time of being tried.

-----

-?- Additionally, what do you think should happen if the 'original' turns in a multiple for a crime? Given that their perception is that the multiple is another person.

I'm just curious where people's morality or sense of justice may stand here. If you want cite the law, by all means do so but I'm more interested in personal views (:

ReputationRep:
    Of course they need to be convicted. Whether or not the 'original' deserves to be punished is another matter but if they have a murderous personality that can appear without their consent then that person needs to be separated from the rest of society.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Putting aside the fact that 'multiple personality disorder' is extremely rare and very misunderstood, then yes: Convicted and very likely detained to a secure mental health unit under a criminal section of the Mental Health Act.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.