Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is the salary progression for an actuary? I.e. how much can you expect to earn 5 years, 10 years and 15 years after leaving uni? Assume you qualify within 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    Help

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but I know for sure that they're paid a huge salary!

ReputationRep:
    what constitutes a huge salary for you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It can vary greatly depending on how fast you pass exams, how fast you get promoted etc.

A typical base salary (Ignoring bonuses) progression for a GOOD actuary at a life insurance company outside of London might look something like:

New Graduate: 30k
    Senior Student (2-3 years): 40k-50k
    Qualified actuary (4-5 years): 50k-70k
    Manager (6-10 years): 70k-90k
    Senior manager (10-15 years): 90k-110k
    Head of function (15-20 years): 110k-150k
    Director: (20-25 years): 150k+ (At this stage your pay will probably mainly come from bonuses/performance related pay)

These are just base salaries, most companies will also pay a bonus. This could range from 5-10% at student level all the way up to 40-50% at Head of function level.

Please note I said typical. Some people will progress much faster, others will take their time. Some people will hop jobs and get bigger pay rises etc. London pay and consultancy pay will vary.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.