Turn on thread page Beta

SAT or ACT which is better for a UK student applying for a USA university? watch

ReputationRep:
    title basically

ReputationRep:
    Either one is fine. For the most part, the SAT and ACT are regarded as interchangeable.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has taken both, although both tests are accepted, it is significantly easier to get a better score on the SAT. My ACT score can get me into most state Universities but my SAT score can get me into the ivies. The SAT gives you all the math formulas unlike the ACT and additionally you have time on the SAT to finish each section and check your work while on the ACT you usually don't have enough time to even answer all the questions

ReputationRep:
    American here. Both are fine, it's really a regional thing. The midwest mainly does the ACT and the coasts more use the SAT. Try a practice test of both and see which one you do better on (it's different for different people–I'm personally partial to the SAT!), then focus on that one.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the university, research what they look for. Some require one or the other, some don't care.

ReputationRep:
    From personal experience I would recommend the ACT for a couple of reasons. 1. Requires less content knowledge- I feel that the ACT is more skill based and therefore more accessible to learn with a British curriculum rather than learning a lot of new content. 2. The ACT focuses on a wide range of skills and sections compared to the SAT. The SAT is much more math based offering both a calculator and non-calculator section whilst the ACT has 1 calculator math section but offers a reading and science section which focuses on analytical and inference skills. 3. (This is more of a personal reason) I found CollegeBoard very glitch-y and problematic. The ACT site was just so much more accessible and user friendly. Whilst taking my SAT Subject tests, I ran into so many problems with getting tickets (my ticket wasn't available online initially and I got it AFTER my test in the post which isn't particularly helpful), scores took ages to come and it was just generally a very negative experience. That being said, it really does not make a difference which one you end up taking- schools view them interchangeably. I'd say take a diagnostic test in both and see which one you feel more comfortable taking- not necessarily the one you get a higher score in but the one you feel you could make the most improvement in and enjoy more.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.