Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am new to the student room and would like advice on a school related issue.
    Basically I told a teacher I was on antidepressants. This was because I had to provide a reason to the school for why I had to undertake my exams in another room. I was very reluctant to do this because the teacher didn't seem like the type of person who would respond well to that kind of message and it turns out he didn't . He pushed me and pushed me for every detail in a very intimidating and vindictive fashion and even laughed when I told him some aspects of my depression. For example, I told him that I was finding it hard to work because of the medication and he laughed at me telling me how many people are able to work efficiently even on medication.
    Anyway, after I finally got permission to sit my exams in another room I found out something else a couple of days ago.
    I stayed behind after a lesson to ask my teacher whether a school trip was compulsory. She then proceeded to ask me how my medication was going etc. I was surprised as the only person I told was the original teacher and I asked her how she knew. She confirmed it was the original teacher and he had told every teacher because it was a "safeguarding issue".
    I have been crying almost every day since I found out this news as my school isn't the type of school that deals with mental health issues well and now all my teachers know I'm on antidepressants. I'm not upset because I'm shamed that I'm on them but because of the stigma around depression and how my school doesn't recognise these sorts of issues in the same ways as physical illness.
    I was wondering whether someone could tell me whether what my teacher did was a breach of confidentiality(as I never gave him permission to tell my teachers and made it clear i didn't want anyone to know). Also I don't see how it's a "safeguarding issue" that sounds like such a ******** excuse. The medication doesn't turn me into some sort of violent psychopath. I can't put into words how upset and angry I am at him.

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't have done that. Normally, things like that are on a need to know basis. Not all of your teachers needed to know this. The only people who should have know would be the safeguarding person and head of year, pretty much. They see it as a safeguarding issue because what if you stopped taking them for whatever reason and started feeling depressed (and the crap that comes with that, you know what I mean). Your teacher dealt with this in the wrong way. On your schools website is there a safeguarding policy? If there is, read through that and see if he broke it. If he did then tell someone. He shouldn't have told all of your teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill Nye)
    They shouldn't have done that. Normally, things like that are on a need to know basis. Not all of your teachers needed to know this. The only people who should have know would be the safeguarding person and head of year, pretty much. They see it as a safeguarding issue because what if you stopped taking them for whatever reason and started feeling depressed (and the crap that comes with that, you know what I mean). Your teacher dealt with this in the wrong way. On your schools website is there a safeguarding policy? If there is, read through that and see if he broke it. If he did then tell someone. He shouldn't have told all of your teachers.
    Thanks for the advice. I am fairly sure he broke my schools policy and that he should have told me he was going to tell my teachers before doing so(and check it was okay with me). However, i have two problems. The first is i have no idea who to tell and second i am afraid if i start something with him then he will make my life hell(as he is head of year 10). I also don't know what i can gain from telling someone and starting something because i feel like it may distract me from my studies and make me more upset thinking about it. I am ultimately stuck in a bad situation. It upsets me that people can say these things and act these ways and get away with it. Unfortunately one person(especially considering how shy i am) cannot break the system of authority. I am fairly sure he has treated others badly and perhaps if we all came together then we could break the system but that would mean telling them i am on medication which i do not want to do.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.