Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to do sixth form in Spain? Estudiar el bachillerato en Espana? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey (: If anyone could give me some clarification I'd really appreciate it xd So I'm in year 11 working towards my GCSE's. Next year I'm planning on moving to Spain to continue my education there and hopefully go to uni there too. After year 11, I'll leave with 10 GCSEs, 1 AS (Spanish) and a level 2 BTEC. I'm planning on studying the Health Sciences baccalaureate or 'Bachillerato de las ciencias de la salud'. Would I have to go into the first year of 'sixth form' there? or would I be able to go straight into second year? Is it harder than studying A-levels? Just a bit of insight please as I'm kind of lost because if I were to already be in Spain I'd be going into second year of bachillerato next year, as there is no "year 11" really...

// Si alguien me podria dar algo de informacion, lo agradeceria mucho xd Bueno, yo vivo en Londres, Reino Unido y estoy en el 'year 11'. El anio que viene parece que me voy a Espania (Las Palmas) a vivir...y estoy un poco confuso :c Osea, seria necesario empezar desde 1 de bachillerato? (tengo 16 anios) y me voy con GCSEs y un AS. O seria posible entrar directamente a segundo de bachillerato? Creen que el bachillerato en espania es dificil? (modalildad ciencias de la salud) Gracias (: Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dxnieeel)
    Hey (: If anyone could give me some clarification I'd really appreciate it xd So I'm in year 11 working towards my GCSE's. Next year I'm planning on moving to Spain to continue my education there and hopefully go to uni there too. After year 11, I'll leave with 10 GCSEs, 1 AS (Spanish) and a level 2 BTEC. I'm planning on studying the Health Sciences baccalaureate or 'Bachillerato de las ciencias de la salud'. Would I have to go into the first year of 'sixth form' there? or would I be able to go straight into second year? Is it harder than studying A-levels? Just a bit of insight please as I'm kind of lost because if I were to already be in Spain I'd be going into second year of bachillerato next year, as there is no "year 11" really...

// Si alguien me podria dar algo de informacion, lo agradeceria mucho xd Bueno, yo vivo en Londres, Reino Unido y estoy en el 'year 11'. El anio que viene parece que me voy a Espania (Las Palmas) a vivir...y estoy un poco confuso :c Osea, seria necesario empezar desde 1 de bachillerato? (tengo 16 anios) y me voy con GCSEs y un AS. O seria posible entrar directamente a segundo de bachillerato? Creen que el bachillerato en espania es dificil? (modalildad ciencias de la salud) Gracias (: Thanks.
    You are unlikely to get many answers about the Spanish school system on a British education forum as very few people around here will know how it works. What I would say is have you taken finances into account? You will need to pay all living expenses and fees if applicable.

ReputationRep:

Tienes origen española?

ReputationRep:
    SÃ*, tendrÃ*as que ir a la sexta forma allÃ* y es más difÃ*cil que A-levels, es seguro, espero que haya ayudado y buena suerte

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlevelsMakeMeSui)
    Tienes origen española?
    Sip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE 9)
    SÃ*, tendrÃ*as que ir a la sexta forma allÃ* y es más difÃ*cil que A-levels, es seguro, espero que haya ayudado y buena suerte
    Bueno...a la aventua jajajaj muchas gracias! ^~^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    You are unlikely to get many answers about the Spanish school system on a British education forum as very few people around here will know how it works. What I would say is have you taken finances into account? You will need to pay all living expenses and fees if applicable.
    Well...obviously that won't apply to a 16 year old...it's not like I'm running away from home on my own lol thanks tho (:
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    CA Reminder: Please can all posts have an English translation as well.

ReputationRep:
    Well...obviously that won't apply to a 16 year old...it's not like I'm running away from home on my own lol thanks tho (:
    You would be suprised, every so often I see posts on here from people asking if they can move away from home at 16. And then the student finance forum here is full of students whose parents can't/won't support them at university.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the year you were born. If you were born in 2000 then you would go straight to the second year and do “selectividad” which is kind of like the GCSE process and you do exams of the compulsory subjects (English, Maths, English (as a language)) and more. But since Bachillerato is a two year course I think the school would make you start from the first year so you don’t miss anything. If you were born in 2001 then they would put you in the right year which is the first year of bachillerato. In regards to the level of difficulty is kind of similar to A levels although there are more than 3 subjects to do.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’ve studied in Spain for 15 years (obvs because I was born there) and I just recently moved to London so you can ask me anything. I’m also Spanish 🤗

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namelessfeelsx)
    It depends on the year you were born. If you were born in 2000 then you would go straight to the second year and do “selectividad” which is kind of like the GCSE process and you do exams of the compulsory subjects (English, Maths, English (as a language)) and more. But since Bachillerato is a two year course I think the school would make you start from the first year so you don’t miss anything. If you were born in 2001 then they would put you in the right year which is the first year of bachillerato. In regards to the level of difficulty is kind of similar to A levels although there are more than 3 subjects to do.
    Thank youu, I thought that i would be put into the first year, but the thing is I should actually be going into the second year but obvs it might not be ideal because i'd probably be missing stuff...then again an extra year of school is kinda annoying but it would weigh out the same here in the UK

ReputationRep:
    Thank youu, I thought that i would be put into the first year, but the thing is I should actually be going into the second year but obvs it might not be ideal because i'd probably be missing stuff...then again an extra year of school is kinda annoying but it would weigh out the same here in the UK
    Yeah that’s what happened to me as well but it’s better than missing out stuff so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namelessfeelsx)
    If they start next year they would be in 2o if they were born in 2001, as I'm doing my secons year and I was born in the year 2000. But GCSEs are like the ESO, so I gess they'lk get into 1st of bachillerato

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying 2nd of bachillerato atm and it's been pretty difficult due to the amount of work I've had to do, as I had to take 10 subjects in my first year and 9 in my 2nd one.

So basically you have "troncales" (cumpulsory subjects), "troncales de opción" (sciences you can choose between biology, physics and chemistry and "dibujo tecnico") and " especifica" (any subject you want to take.

Last year I had to take Spanish, English, Philosophy and PE as compulsory subjects and then I chose Biology, Physics and Chemistry, Latin and German, and this year I am taking Spanish, English, Philosophy and History of Spain as cumpulsory subjects and Physics, Chemistry and Biology as the ones I have chosen.

So basically the problem with it is the work load, but if you work hard you can have good grades and do well in selctividad. I had a 9.5/10 last year and I'll have to work hard this year, so that I don't get worse grades.

I hope this was helpful, yoy can ask anything you want to me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.