Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I ditch this friend? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This friend and I have known each other for a little while now, they have been getting up to some things I consider a bit dodgy (smoking, sex...). However, this person is very kind, funny and considers me their close friend (#1 best friend). I bought this person a few things (bath bomb and food) yet I'm starting to wonder whether they are worth keeping as a friend. As their parents had said something about me giving them a bath bomb, they said they 'question my sexuality'. I found the comment quite hurtful since their parents have only seen me, never got to know me. I am need of guidance thank you

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you should ditch them if they are a good friend to you, just on the basis on their parents' comments. You are friends with your friend, not their parents. How did you hear them make these comments about you?

ReputationRep:
    My friend told me that this is what they had said, for me I sit on the fence with them. Because at times I do think they can be attention-seeking like they say 'I'm fat' even though they are quite fit...
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    I don't think you should ditch them if they are a good friend to you, just on the basis on their parents' comments. You are friends with your friend, not their parents. How did you hear them make these comments about you?

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit blunt for your friend to pass on these comments for you. I think if you think they are a good friend to you, keep them in your life, but take their behaviour with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    Aaargh that is what I'm struggling with, honestly are they a good friend? Then I think well what is a good friend? and so on....

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
    That's a bit blunt for your friend to pass on these comments for you. I think if you think they are a good friend to you, keep them in your life, but take their behaviour with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarnat)
    they have been getting up to some things I consider a bit dodgy (smoking, sex...). However, this person is very kind, funny and considers me their close friend (#1 best friend). I bought this person a few things (bath bomb and food) yet I'm starting to wonder whether they are worth keeping as a friend. As their parents had said something about me giving them a bath bomb, they said they 'question my sexuality'. I found the comment quite hurtful since their parents have only seen me, never got to know me. I am need of guidance thank you

Are you a muslim?

tbh, I think you're making too big a deal out of all of this. She hasn't really done anything that bad. Tbh, it's her parents who have been a bit out of order to you ...but that's not a good reason to ditch her as a friend imo......

ReputationRep:
    haha why did you think I was muslim? Fair point and thank you

(Original post by ANM775)
    Are you a muslim?

tbh, I think you're making too big a deal out of all of this. She hasn't really done anything that bad. Tbh, it's her parents who have been a bit out of order to you ...but that's not a good reason to ditch her as a friend imo......

ReputationRep:
    haha why did you think I was muslim? Fair point and thank you

you considered smoking and sex bad, so it got me wondering......

ReputationRep:
    I personally think it's bad when you're underage.
    (Original post by ANM775)
    you considered smoking and sex bad, so it got me wondering......

ReputationRep:
    Aaargh that is what I'm struggling with, honestly are they a good friend? Then I think well what is a good friend? and so on....
    I would consider a good friend to be there for you when you need them, to be understanding and truthful, and someone you can have a good time with. You have to think is your life better with this friend, or would it be better without them?

ReputationRep:
    This friend and I have known each other for a little while now, they have been getting up to some things I consider a bit dodgy (smoking, sex...). However, this person is very kind, funny and considers me their close friend (#1 best friend). I bought this person a few things (bath bomb and food) yet I'm starting to wonder whether they are worth keeping as a friend. As their parents had said something about me giving them a bath bomb, they said they 'question my sexuality'. I found the comment quite hurtful since their parents have only seen me, never got to know me. I am need of guidance thank you
    If you say this person is kind, funny and considers you a close friend, don't even consider letting them go! Just because they do things you don't agree with such as sex and smoking, does not mean you should leave them. And ignore their parents, you're friends with the person not their parents! Seriously though, you can't just ditch someone because they have different opinions on things such as smoking or sex. As long as they're not putting you in any danger or bad situations, keep them as a friend.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    QUOTE=cheesecakelove;74293306]I would consider a good friend to be there for you when you need them, to be understanding and truthful, and someone you can have a good time with. You have to think is your life better with this friend, or would it be better without them?[/QUOTE]

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.