Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately for me, I have a tendency to get motivated to study just before I go to sleep, does anyone have any videos or techniques they do that helps them want to study? I have mock exams in late November and I really need to get into mindset to study effectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarnat)
    Unfortunately for me, I have a tendency to get motivated to study just before I go to sleep, does anyone have any videos or techniques they do that helps them want to study? I have mock exams in late November and I really need to get into mindset to study effectively.
    I don't anymore since I can study a good 5-6 hours before I start to lose my mojo, but what I used to do was:

Study say 1-2 hours.
    Then chill, play a game, relax or whatever for about 1-2 as well.

When that's over, I go back to it and try to recall what I studied purely off memory or cues. Then I study more, rest more, study more rest more...

You get the jist.

Edit -
    I also find that I tend to study better after working out. I'm usually just like all 'bleegggh' and can't be bothered to do anything that involves moving around so sitting down at a computer is ideal! Two birds, one stone.

ReputationRep:
    What keeps me motivated is not making a timetable... I always go behind work because there are some days I do literally nothing, and others where I sit for 12 hours straight doing work. If I go behind on a timetable I just get stressed and it doesn't help me. It does sometimes mean I procrastinate but I've never failed to hand in important work on time, and sometimes I even finish it way in advance because I forget the deadline is ages away.

ReputationRep:
    I just think about how it'll be worth it in the end and it's only until exams are over, so you don't have to do it for long in comparison to every other time. I just think - I'd rather have two years of really hard work and get into a great uni, than have two years of pretty hard work but with slacking off and get into a pretty mediocre uni when I could've done better. As for techniques I just write out my notes over and over. That doesn't help on the motivation side of things but it gets the job done for me. So yeah, I don't have a "technique" exactly, just sheer will power (even if it's forced sometimes)

ReputationRep:
    I usually go to my school library as the environment just helps me to stay focused.. try different ways of revision such as making posters, flashcards, online resources, using revision guides. My best way of revising is past papers then using a mark scheme I go over them and learn the correct answers.. then I test myself again untill I get them all right. Sometimes when you do the same revision technique over and over again you could just get bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarnat)
    Self-Discipline. Not the sexiest answer, but it is the one which will make sure the work gets done. Don't ever rely on motivation, for it can be affected by so many things, like hunger and tiredness. When you've got it, it's awesome! When you don't, you get the problems you're facing right now. With self-discipline you build a sense a pride, you make yourself do the work, regardless of how you feel. When you're finished, you'll feel amazing. And with every day that passes and you keep maintaining the discipline, you will remember more and become more intellegent. Better still, the more you do it, the more progress you'll make.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Think about your career path and always have that goal ahead of you, and don't let some **** tell you otherwise Also, print out some motivation quotes as they helped me alot.

ReputationRep:
    Wot KieranAdam and VirgoStrain said. Rely on self-discipline. Make a timetable and stick to it. Then you don't need motivation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.