Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questions before making a thread. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I've been on TSR for a while, I've not really dabbled with the idea of making a thread before.

That being said, I'd like to start making some holiday-themed threads throughout the year, however, don't want to do make your typical text posts and was planning on spending some time creating an image to act as the posts themselves instead.

Now, I have a couple of questions in regards to this that I was hoping the more seasoned members could help with.

1) Can a post consist only of only an image, or would I need to add text?
    A) Still need to have a minimum of two characters, not that bad as I can just change the colour to white and they''ll effectively be invisible.

2) What would be the best image size (mainly width)?
    A)

3) Is there any way of adding AltText for images?
    A)

4) Is there a max file size when uploading images?
    A) Capped at 32MB, so shouldn't be an issue.

5) I've noticed that images will occasionally be replaced with the text "attachment", wanted to get some opinions on the best way to avoid this.
    A) Best way to avoid it so far that I've heard about is to use a link instead of uploading the file from your computer.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
    Whilst I've been on TSR for a while, I've not really dabbled with the idea of making a thread before.

That being said, I'd like to start making some holiday-themed threads throughout the year, however, don't want to do make your typical text posts and was planning on spending some time creating an image to act as the posts themselves instead.

Now, I have a couple of questions in regards to this that I was hoping the more seasoned members could help with.

1) Can a post consist only of only an image, or would I need to add text?

2) What would be the best image size (mainly width)?

3) Is there any way of adding AltText for images?

4) Is there a max file size when uploading images?

5) I've noticed that images will occasionally be replaced with the text "attachment", wanted to get some opinions on the best way to avoid this.
    1) the system won't let you post with less than 2 characters, so some text needed
    2) Pass- don't know
    3) See above
    4) Yes- I think that it's approximately 32MB
    5)I think either use imigur or similar or just hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    1) the system won't let you post with less than 2 characters, so some text needed
    2) Pass- don't know
    3) See above
    4) Yes- I think that it's approximately 32MB
    5)I think either use imigur or similar or just hope.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the response, I don't think it's actually possible to add AltText at the minute, thought I'd throw it out there though.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ)
    Thanks for the response, I don't think it's actually possible to add AltText at the minute, thought I'd throw it out there though.
    It's beyond the text editor on TSR for sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    It's beyond the text editor on TSR for sure!
    That's a shame, I guess I can kill two birds with one stone though and use the [expand=] [/expand] command to have the text in the image available to anyone who can't see it as well as not having to worry about adding a minimum of two characters to the post.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.