Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need advice on applying for degree not entirely relevant to current studies HALLLP! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So its a little complicated and a bit lengthy but I would really really appreciate any help or advice!

I currently study a course dealing with animals and all aspects of care, I study biology, anatomy, behaviour , nutrition, nursing e.t.c

I have always had a passion for missing persons cases, forensic investigation and criminal psychology. When I was 13 I was set on being a clinical psychologist and took health and social care at school.

My real passion is unidentified body identification (but more the investigation that goes with this than the actual "yep that's him alright" checks that coroners e.t.c do.)
    For the past 6 years I've watched forensics shows and missing persons documentaries every single day ( i know this has recently become a hobby for a lot of people but this is something i've been heavily interested in from a very young age and has only grown as I have)

I also have volunteered for the doe network for three years as a hobby because I am so endeared by the thousands of people unidentified (especially when we have all the resources to be identifying people but are underfunded).

Now, I want to apply for a degree in forensic psychology and investigation but am worried my checkered education history is going to hold me back.

I should also mention I am 25 and have bipolar disorder, I have also had a rough upbringing due to having a mentally ill parent, I lost someone close to me to suicide three years ago and I have experience remaining unidentified in a hospital for a week after I lost my memory when i was 19 after an episode - although these things are sad/ possibly negatives I really feel like they have shaped my passion for the degree .

Im not sure how to word my passions or whether to mention my struggles (obviously not in detail, but highlight it as a reason for my interest) Im worried that they will think, well, why is she 25 and not been to uni yet? Or, she seems a bit crazy

I should mention that as a result of my bipolar, I never believed ( and was made to believe) I couldn't and wouldn't lead a normal life and would not be able to go into this type of career because of it.

As a result, i had very low confidence and didn't believe I could do this degree so i did animal care thinking i could use that as an income whilst working voluntarily on missing persons cases (my real passion).

I never went to school much even though i was a bright child, i never tried and had social services come over a lot. However, I have excelled in education ( now i take my meds) to the point where im predicted D* in all my units ( this was a huge surprise to me as i always believed i didn't have the ability) so this has boosted my confidence and now i think i can do a degree without struggling health-wise.

Im worried they will think that because i didn't pick psychology/sciences to begin with it means its not what I've always wanted to do ( but obviously this is difficult to get around without mentioning the reasons why i didn't pick it)

Hope you can understand my ramblings and i would be so so grateful for any help, i don't have many friends/family with uni experience so im quite alone in trying to word my statement.

TLDR; How can I write a personal statement for a degree different to my current studies, do i mention my mental illness?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunterbooty)
    So its a little complicated and a bit lengthy but I would really really appreciate any help or advice!

I currently study a course dealing with animals and all aspects of care, I study biology, anatomy, behaviour , nutrition, nursing e.t.c

I have always had a passion for missing persons cases, forensic investigation and criminal psychology. When I was 13 I was set on being a clinical psychologist and took health and social care at school.

My real passion is unidentified body identification (but more the investigation that goes with this than the actual "yep that's him alright" checks that coroners e.t.c do.)
    For the past 6 years I've watched forensics shows and missing persons documentaries every single day ( i know this has recently become a hobby for a lot of people but this is something i've been heavily interested in from a very young age and has only grown as I have)

I also have volunteered for the doe network for three years as a hobby because I am so endeared by the thousands of people unidentified (especially when we have all the resources to be identifying people but are underfunded).

Now, I want to apply for a degree in forensic psychology and investigation but am worried my checkered education history is going to hold me back.

I should also mention I am 25 and have bipolar disorder, I have also had a rough upbringing due to having a mentally ill parent, I lost someone close to me to suicide three years ago and I have experience remaining unidentified in a hospital for a week after I lost my memory when i was 19 after an episode - although these things are sad/ possibly negatives I really feel like they have shaped my passion for the degree .

Im not sure how to word my passions or whether to mention my struggles (obviously not in detail, but highlight it as a reason for my interest) Im worried that they will think, well, why is she 25 and not been to uni yet? Or, she seems a bit crazy

I should mention that as a result of my bipolar, I never believed ( and was made to believe) I couldn't and wouldn't lead a normal life and would not be able to go into this type of career because of it.

As a result, i had very low confidence and didn't believe I could do this degree so i did animal care thinking i could use that as an income whilst working voluntarily on missing persons cases (my real passion).

I never went to school much even though i was a bright child, i never tried and had social services come over a lot. However, I have excelled in education ( now i take my meds) to the point where im predicted D* in all my units ( this was a huge surprise to me as i always believed i didn't have the ability) so this has boosted my confidence and now i think i can do a degree without struggling health-wise.

Im worried they will think that because i didn't pick psychology/sciences to begin with it means its not what I've always wanted to do ( but obviously this is difficult to get around without mentioning the reasons why i didn't pick it)

Hope you can understand my ramblings and i would be so so grateful for any help, i don't have many friends/family with uni experience so im quite alone in trying to word my statement.

TLDR; How can I write a personal statement for a degree different to my current studies, do i mention my mental illness?
    Just write about why you want to do the subject and anything relevant you have studied, i would mention your illness in the disabilties section and get your referee to mention it in your reference if you want.

ReputationRep:
    You could link in biology and anatomy to this. At one point I was also interested in this kind of career probably because of my obsession with the TV show bones and in order to identify the body knowing about the body's skeletal structure and tissues does link in to it. I would suggest you keep your personal statement focused on what you did do and what you learnt from volunteering and how what you did do is actually relevant. Everything else should probably go in your reference and I think something called a mitigating circumstances form. Even if in the end you can't get in to university you could always have a look at colleges that may offer a course or perhaps even an online course. Good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.