Turn on thread page Beta

Adult leaner returning to uni watch

    • Thread Starter

    I am a 35 year old male and am looking to start a 3 year degree in primary
    education starting 2018. I have 2 paths too choose and with family etc im unsure
    what to do, so a little extra info on what funding options would be available would
    be greatly appreciated as this is my main hurdle.
    I have the Open university (already got place if i accept on the degree) would be a 3 year course,as i will be taking 120pts a year ( over 40 hours a week study, if i go
    down this route i am doing a course april to sept, just before my course, like an
    intro to learning again, as its been 16 years), you class this as full time but have
    been informed sfe class it as part time. If this is the case i am guessing only my
    course fees would be paid.
    The second option would be to do a free course with the council feb time
    ( foundation english (equiv to GCSE), to obtain the requirements for Staffs Uni in
    sept, a 3 yearfull time primary education degree with QTS, which i think would allow me extra funding options. Some specific advise on each path would be most
    •  Official Rep

     Official Rep
    Hi paullliversage,

    You are correct in that the first path would just be Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) only if you were studying with the Open University as these applications are always considered as part time.

    For the second path, assuming you have not had any previous study at higher education level, if you were to enrol to do the three year Primary Education degree then as this is a full time course you would be able to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) and means-tested Maintenance Loan (ML) and Supplementary Grants (if applicable) such as Parents' Learning Allowances, Childcare Grant, Adult Dependants' Grant and Disabled Students' Allowances. All Supplementary Grants are assessed based on household income

    There is a Student Finance Calculator on the Gov.UK website that can give you an idea of how much you could get. Keep in mind this information is all based on the 2017/18 academic year as we haven't had the policy confirmed for the year that you would be studying so it gives you a rough idea but could be subject to change.


    • Thread Starter

    ok ty laura. it would more more sense to me to go down the staff uni route, i would have to leave my voluntary post i have got myself proberbly, ( even though its only a one day a week posting at the moment it may not be compatible day wise with the course. That would not be a major concern. I was the sole earner before 3 months ago when i decided to go "back to school" so my house income at the moment is actually 0. I am trying to get a part time job that i could do at weekend to support the family and the missus is currently looking for a job too due to me career change and the financial impact it will have.

University open days

  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.