Spain takes charge of Catalan government after declaration of independence

Watch this thread
Danny Dorito
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Catalan parliament votes to declare independence from Spain, just as Madrid looks set to impose direct rule.

Read full story here

What do you make of this? Are you surprised? Do you think there will be repercussion for the Catalans from the Spanish government?

[EDIT] Developing news Saturday AM: Spain has imposed direct rule and taken charge of Catalan government.
stoyfan
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Danny Dorito)
Catalan parliament votes to declare independence from Spain, just as Madrid looks set to impose direct rule.

Read full story here

What do you make of this? Are you surprised? Do you think there will be repercussion for the Catalans from the Spanish government?
Fair enough.

I mean, the Catalonian parliment knew that their power will be taken away from them and the president will be ousted so they have nothing to loose.
SMEGGGY
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Civil war? :fuhrer:

Bloody week after week, are they, are they not. :rolleyes:

What does it mean? :beard:
Posted from TSR Mobile
SMEGGGY
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Billions on streetsName:  DNJfsHVW4AIkjhq.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  149.1 KB
Chicken.M.
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
nice
AperfectBalance
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Waiting for Germany to start trying out their new tanks and planes in the upcoming civil war.
namelessfeelsx
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Does that mean that Catalonia got out of the EU faster than the UK?
namelessfeelsx
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I’m Spanish and all I can say is that Spain won’t be the same without Catalonia. Barcelona was the city bringing most of the money to the table due to tourism, so in theory the economy was going well thanks to Barcelona despite the economic crisis in Spain. I think Catalonia thought that they could fund their own economy instead of giving control of most of their finances to the central government in Madrid, hence why they want to go. What they don’t realise is that they will be insignificant once they start being independent. They’ll be out of the EU and with that, Europeans will not even think about stepping Catalonia because of the complexity of obtaining visas to visit the city and more. Note that I’m only talking about one of the factors that could affect Catalonia badly.
ckfeister
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by namelessfeelsx)
Does that mean that Catalonia got out of the EU faster than the UK?
EU is as strong and stable as Theresa May.
username2393237
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SMEGGGY)
Billions on streetsName:  DNJfsHVW4AIkjhq.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  149.1 KB
Billions?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I have one thing to say:

Covfefe

Other than that, I don't deserve an opinion because I don't live there.
cactuss
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Finally
the bear
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
acabarà amb llàgrimes*

Spoiler:
Show
it will end in tears
RedGiant
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I thought this said "California declares independence" lol
AuroraNyx
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Much as I support independence (Wales needs it), I really, reaaaally don't see this ending well for anyone involved...
username917703
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CastCuraga)
Much as I support independence (Wales needs it), I really, reaaaally don't see this ending well for anyone involved...
lol
Trapz99
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Congratulations
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
This looks like it could go bad. Gonna be some dank political memes for the next couple of days tho.
(Original post by namelessfeelsx)
They’ll be out of the EU and with that, Europeans will not even think about stepping Catalonia because of the complexity of obtaining visas to visit the city and more. Note that I’m only talking about one of the factors that could affect Catalonia badly.
Could they make it so Europeans don't need a visa? In theory?
Ambitious1999
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
This looks like it could go bad. Gonna be some dank political memes for the next couple of days tho.

Could they make it so Europeans don't need a visa? In theory?
Don’t know why we can’t just pull out the EU with immediate effect. We should have done that in June 2016, then we’d be a powerful free nation once again.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Don’t know why we can’t just pull out the EU with immediate effect.
Because that would be a stupid idea. I don't see how that's relevant to Catalonia.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (22)
30.56%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
36.11%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (6)
8.33%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.56%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
12.5%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.39%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.39%

Watched Threads