Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spain takes charge of Catalan government after declaration of independence Watch

• TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Catalan parliament votes to declare independence from Spain, just as Madrid looks set to impose direct rule.

Read full story here

What do you make of this? Are you surprised? Do you think there will be repercussion for the Catalans from the Spanish government?

[EDIT] Developing news Saturday AM: Spain has imposed direct rule and taken charge of Catalan government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    Catalan parliament votes to declare independence from Spain, just as Madrid looks set to impose direct rule.

Read full story here

What do you make of this? Are you surprised? Do you think there will be repercussion for the Catalans from the Spanish government?
    Fair enough.

I mean, the Catalonian parliment knew that their power will be taken away from them and the president will be ousted so they have nothing to loose.

ReputationRep:
    Civil war? :fuhrer:

Bloody week after week, are they, are they not. :rolleyes:

What does it mean? :beard:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Billions on streetsName:  DNJfsHVW4AIkjhq.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  149.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    nice

ReputationRep:
    Waiting for Germany to start trying out their new tanks and planes in the upcoming civil war.

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean that Catalonia got out of the EU faster than the UK?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’m Spanish and all I can say is that Spain won’t be the same without Catalonia. Barcelona was the city bringing most of the money to the table due to tourism, so in theory the economy was going well thanks to Barcelona despite the economic crisis in Spain. I think Catalonia thought that they could fund their own economy instead of giving control of most of their finances to the central government in Madrid, hence why they want to go. What they don’t realise is that they will be insignificant once they start being independent. They’ll be out of the EU and with that, Europeans will not even think about stepping Catalonia because of the complexity of obtaining visas to visit the city and more. Note that I’m only talking about one of the factors that could affect Catalonia badly.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namelessfeelsx)
    Does that mean that Catalonia got out of the EU faster than the UK?
    EU is as strong and stable as Theresa May.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMEGGGY)
    Billions on streetsName:  DNJfsHVW4AIkjhq.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  149.1 KB
    Billions?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I have one thing to say:

Covfefe

Other than that, I don't deserve an opinion because I don't live there.

ReputationRep:
    Finally

ReputationRep:
    acabarà amb llàgrimes*

Spoiler:
    Show
    it will end in tears

ReputationRep:
    I thought this said "California declares independence" lol

ReputationRep:
    Much as I support independence (Wales needs it), I really, reaaaally don't see this ending well for anyone involved...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CastCuraga)
    Much as I support independence (Wales needs it), I really, reaaaally don't see this ending well for anyone involved...
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations

ReputationRep:
    This looks like it could go bad. Gonna be some dank political memes for the next couple of days tho.
    (Original post by namelessfeelsx)
    They’ll be out of the EU and with that, Europeans will not even think about stepping Catalonia because of the complexity of obtaining visas to visit the city and more. Note that I’m only talking about one of the factors that could affect Catalonia badly.
    Could they make it so Europeans don't need a visa? In theory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    This looks like it could go bad. Gonna be some dank political memes for the next couple of days tho.

Could they make it so Europeans don't need a visa? In theory?
    Don’t know why we can’t just pull out the EU with immediate effect. We should have done that in June 2016, then we’d be a powerful free nation once again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Don’t know why we can’t just pull out the EU with immediate effect.
    Because that would be a stupid idea. I don't see how that's relevant to Catalonia.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.