Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What you wish you knew or practiced before starting medical School Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone.

I'm a current medical applicant (Graduate-Entry Medicine) for 2018 entry .
    I am so eager to know what current medical students or Doctors would've done differently to prepare for medical school.

Imagine you had a gap-year off academics (like myself) what would you have done differently to start you off on your first year?
    Anything as basic as Daily habits, books to read, note-taking, improving long-term & short-term memory for exams, organising your day etc.

Maybe you found certain modules overbearing and long, perhaps applicants could prepare for these areas ahead of time, especially during the summer holiday before term starts.

I would appreciate the input you can all give, thank you !

ReputationRep:
    A normal sleeping schedule.

ReputationRep:
    Do things you enjoy - there is more to life than medicine! I'd never been a full time student before doing my previous degree as online modules - I've managed okay so far.

(Original post by temi1234)
    Hello Everyone.

I am so eager to know what current medical students or Doctors would've done differently to prepare for medical school.

Imagine you had a gap-year off academics (like myself) what would you have done differently to start you off on your first year?
    Anything as basic as Daily habits, books to read, note-taking, improving long-term & short-term memory for exams, organising your day etc.

Maybe you found certain modules overbearing and long, perhaps applicants could prepare for these areas ahead of time, especially during the summer holiday before term starts.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone.

Content wise just make sure you fully understand A-level biology, it'll help a lot at the start. Pre-studying isn't really needed imo, you'll probably forget most of it.

The most important thing i wish i'd done was to work out how i was going to take notes in lectures and memorise the content earlier (e.g hand written vs typed, flashcards ect), but aside from that just enjoy yourself before you start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopelessMedic)
    Content wise just make sure you fully understand A-level biology, it'll help a lot at the start. Pre-studying isn't really needed imo, you'll probably forget most of it.

The most important thing i wish i'd done was to work out how i was going to take notes in lectures and memorise the content earlier (e.g hand written vs typed, flashcards ect), but aside from that just enjoy yourself before you start.
    Thanks for the input !
    So when in comes to my understanding of A-level Biology, I think I'm ok in that area. I've tutored the subject for 2 years and have an undergrad degree in Biomedical science.

When it comes to revision and note-taking techniques, ive been practicing for the past 3 months, im hoping i could get more tips on the pace and quantity of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEW19)
    Do things you enjoy - there is more to life than medicine! I'd never been a full time student before doing my previous degree as online modules - I've managed okay so far.
    I'll have a year and a half out of further education before medical school, so im pretty much fine with life outside medical school. My social life and hobbies are filled with lots of fun and experience, so I'm ready to bring my head back into these books!
    Please give me some tips lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfy^)
    A normal sleeping schedule.
    I work a 12 hour shift as a HCA at a hospital. I tend to wake up around 6:30 every morning and sleep around 10-11pm, does that sound decent for med school?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input !
    So when in comes to my understanding of A-level Biology, I think I'm ok in that area. I've tutored the subject for 2 years and have an undergrad degree in Biomedical science.

When it comes to revision and note-taking techniques, ive been practicing for the past 3 months, im hoping i could get more tips on the pace and quantity of work.
    I'm only in first year and haven't experienced any other degree so i don't know how it compares to Biomed, but personally the workload isn't that bad so far.
    I'd say i try and work 9-5 most days including lectures/tutorials/practicals, then a couple hours in the evening sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I work a 12 hour shift as a HCA at a hospital. I tend to wake up around 6:30 every morning and sleep around 10-11pm, does that sound decent for med school?
    Seems like you've pretty much got it down. From my previous degree I was used to late starts or afternoon starts so I really struggled when clinical placements started.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.