Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Basically, In our sixth form I hang with my group of friends as usual. I'm not really close to them (except 2 of them) but I still get along with them and we talk alot as a group. But there seems to be a guy in our year (he isn't new), who follows me around literally all the time. He just comes to us and laughs along with us but never says a word even when spoken to....

Whenever our group splits up to go to lesson or wherever he just follows me around and I just dont have it in me to tell him to do his own thing because I dont wanna be mean. Like why try to hang with me when you re not gonna make conversation or even reply when spoken to. And it doesn't help my anxiety either.

I guess he follows me because I'm pretty neutral and never mean to people. To put it simply, how do I get rid of him?! Without coming off as disrespectful
    of course
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    He. Might want to just be friends but is too shy to talk.

ReputationRep:
    just gonna copy another response online to this common problem

"If you are really his only "friends", I would suggest you err on the side of being kind. He sounds like he doesn't have social skills or take social cues -- but that doesn't mean his feelings don't get hurt. Can you maybe have times when you include him/ talk with him (eg, invite him to play cards if he is sitting nearby?) But it is okay to be direct sometimes -- "I know you live in the opposite direction, so you really don't need to walk home with us. I will see you tomorrow, though. Bye!"

There are some things you can say that are less mean:

"Joe, this isn't a good time to hang out right now. Can we talk later?"
    "Joe, I'm going to go for a walk with Kate now, but will see you later."

You don't have to accept his presence all the time. Just keep being consistent, but don't be mean."

Considering he decided to hang out with 'you' not anyone else.. maybe ask him about his interests, include him in the conversation to see if he has much in common? I mean, some people are just shy but have more to offer than at first sight and will open up over time..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Fierro)
    He. Might want to just be friends but is too shy to talk.
    Yeahh I did think that but its been so long with him just following us, and it's as if hes just become quite content with just sitting with us and laughing at our jokes. Even when we try talking to him or making small talk he just shrugs or gives one word replies. I think if he was that shy he probably wouldnt approach us the way he does, like walking right up to us and pulling a chair in and sitting

ReputationRep:
    Does he have many friends?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit like the quiet guy when I was at VI form. If you don't like him, the best thing you can do is rip off the band aid and explain yourself.

(Original post by Alex Fierro)
    Does he have many friends?
    None that I knoww of,
    Like we went on a trip and he basically just clung on to me for the whole of it... When I try talking to him he just talks quietly or stares. And I'm pretty shy and crap at conversation so idk what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    None that I knoww of,
    Like we went on a trip and he basically just clung on to me for the whole of it... When I try talking to him he just talks quietly or stares. And I'm pretty shy and crap at conversation so idk what to do
    Well, it could be that he knows only your appearance and just sticks to you cause he gets scared of big crowds or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    It's over for him.

ReputationRep:
    None that I knoww of,
    Ask him out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    Ask him out?
    I don't think I would even if i was gay lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaFleur786)
    I don't think I would even if i was gay lol
    I was joking obviously, but maybe he could help you in some way. If you're both shy, then you could help him to open up and he could help you. If not, then you should probably just tell him...just don't be brutal.

ReputationRep:
    Basically, In our sixth form I hang with my group of friends as usual. I'm not really close to them (except 2 of them) but I still get along with them and we talk alot as a group. But there seems to be a guy in our year (he isn't new), who follows me around literally all the time. He just comes to us and laughs along with us but never says a word even when spoken to....

Whenever our group splits up to go to lesson or wherever he just follows me around and I just dont have it in me to tell him to do his own thing because I dont wanna be mean. Like why try to hang with me when you re not gonna make conversation or even reply when spoken to. And it doesn't help my anxiety either.

I guess he follows me because I'm pretty neutral and never mean to people. To put it simply, how do I get rid of him?! Without coming off as disrespectful
    of course

learn some evasive maneuvers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    learn some evasive maneuvers.
    Any examples?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaFleur786)
    Any examples?

walk casually along the corridor [with him stalking somewhat behind you], and as soon as you turn the corner you run as fast as you can to somewhere he can't see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    walk casually along the corridor [with him stalking somewhat behind you], and as soon as you turn the corner you run as fast as you can to somewhere he can't see
    Loool wow

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.