Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE student whos currenty planning to go uni in America Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. So im currently doing my GCSE so ill be done with them in June of 2018. Im going to do my A-levels in the UK (finishing in 2020) after which id like to go to America for University. Im planning on taking Biology, Chemistry and either Maths or Physics as i want to get into a medicine related major at University.

I'm hoping on going to America to study at university and pretty much have no clue on how to go about doing that. I know ill have to get all my papers sorted from A-levels, bank statements and do extra tests such as SATs etc as an international student.

Im also planning on hopefully receiving some sort of sport based scholarship for America as im currently a professional athlete. Just thought id mention as it may be something which requires advice too.

If you have any advice or websites/forums that could help it would be greatly appreciated as i want to be prepared to go into college in America. Thank you for your help as im a very confused child who'd like to experience the American Uni life.

ReputationRep:
    It would be a good idea to start contacting the universities you’re interested in and asking about funding/benefits for international students, you have a couple of years so it’s no rush but the earlier you start the easier it should be for you when you go to college speak to the careers advisers about studying in the America and they can help you set up contacts. Being an athlete will definitely work in your advantage and it shouldn’t be too difficult for you to obtain a scholarship, but obviously once you’ve decided on a university it will tell you all you need on the website, hope everything goes well for you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    1) I wouldn't unless you're a minority; you'll be unfairly discriminated against in the admissions process if you're not.

2) You can get some scholarships here in the US, but you're going to be paying for it with private student loans. Which vary in interest, and will require a cosigner. This's going to be very expensive if your cosigner doesn't have excellent credit.It better be in basketball or (american) football though, that's where all of our money goes for athletic scholarships.

3) Given I'm in an American College right now, as I prepare to depart to the UK after next semester, I can answer any questions you may have in specific

ReputationRep:
    I hate to sound personal, but are you quite well off/wealthy?
    If so then applying to the US will be fine, otherwise, it can be cripplingly expensive.
    I'm not trying to put you off because I actually wanted to study the US myself. I held good contact with a Yale admissions tutor for over a year and they said I'd be a strong candidate to get a place. The problem was the cost, I'm not a money conscious person but it literally would have cost me over $300,000 dollars for 4 years (and that was with an ok scholarship). I have also seen stories of UK students parents having to re-mortgage their house(s) to get kids to US uni's.
    If you're rich or have a really good talent then I'd say apply, otherwise, it will be tough, but do your research!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    If so then applying to the US will be fine, otherwise, it can be cripplingly expensive.
    I'm not trying to put you off because I actually wanted to study the US myself. I held good contact with a Yale admissions tutor for over a year and they said I'd be a strong candidate to get a place. The problem was the cost, I'm not a money conscious person but it literally would have cost me over $300,000 dollars for 4 years (and that was with an ok scholarship). I have also seen stories of UK students parents having to re-mortgage their house(s) to get kids to US uni's.
    If you're rich or have a really good talent then I'd say apply, otherwise, it will be tough, but do your research!
    This is all absolutely correct, I entered a 2 year program for business due to some events last year that prevented me from going to the UK and it's costing myself 22,713.56 Sterling. This isn't even that great of a program mind you.

Any good program will cost you at least 34,299.00 sterling in tuition fees alone. There's a reason why I'm going to the UK as opposed to staying in the US.

ReputationRep:
    Uk > us <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _kiiara_)
    x
    I'm with the other guys, it'll be too expensive. You know America treat their own citizens as a cash cow and their Unis are businesses, right? Don't mean to sound rude.

Find a uni course in the UK that has a year abroad in the USA maybe?

Gl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    Which sport do you do? Good luck btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukauu)
    I'm with the other guys, it'll be too expensive. You know America treat their own citizens as a cash cow and their Unis are businesses, right? Don't mean to sound rude.

Find a uni course in the UK that has a year abroad in the USA maybe?

Gl
    It's really because of two reasons, honestly.
    1) Vocational training has a negative social status, ala nobody wants be a tradie

2) Without a price cap, and with government guaranteed student loans they've no incentive to not raise the tuition fees.

These two factors create an insane amount of demand when working in conjunction, and the Universities have responded to it by restricting supply. Henceforth the cost has been driven up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flatline)
    It's really because of two reasons, honestly.
    1) Vocational training has a negative social status, ala nobody wants be a tradie

2) Without a price cap, and with government guaranteed student loans they've no incentive to not raise the tuition fees.

These two factors create an insane amount of demand when working in conjunction, and the Universities have responded to it by restricting supply. Henceforth the cost has been driven up
    I boil it down to America's **** excuse for a political system. Thank God I'm in the UK and I wouldn't live in the USA if you paid me. Their healthcare is insane, and their education system also sucks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.