The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Berrydo
Hello I’m just wondering what a Levels r best for law? Like I know that there aren’t any specific a levels but just wondering which ones r better? Thanks for any help!

History, English Lit, and Government & Politics are good for law :smile:
Original post by VirgoStrain
History, English Lit, Maths and Govt & Politics. If you pick three, pick History, English Lit and Maths

Is it necessary to do maths for a level? I’m not doing history gcse at the moment is that ok? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Berrydo
Is it necessary to do maths for a level? I’m not doing history gcse at the moment is that ok? :smile:

It is no necessary to do any. Pick the ones you love and will do best at, grades are more important than subjects.
Original post by PjdeP
It is no necessary to do any. Pick the ones you love and will do best at, grades are more important than subjects.

I see so as long as I do well and get good grades it’s ok? I want to go to University of Sheffield or UCL and they’re both AAA/A*AA
Reply 5
Original post by Berrydo
I see so as long as I do well and get good grades it’s ok? I want to go to University of Sheffield or UCL and they’re both AAA/A*AA

Good grades, and also good extra curricular and personals statement so remember to build that up. Eg if you do history you can say how related it is to law. Or if you do an internship the benefits of it. For top units not only grades but also p.s
Original post by Berrydo
Hello I’m just wondering what a Levels r best for law? Like I know that there aren’t any specific a levels but just wondering which ones r better? Thanks for any help!

Grades matter more than the subject so choose what you think you’ll do best in.

I think the best combination is an essay-heavy subject (History or English Literature), a subject that requires logical thinking (Maths) and then a 3rd one doesn’t really matter, it may compliment your other choices or be useful for Law (Economics, Politics, MFL ect.)
Original post by Fonzworth
Grades matter more than the subject so choose what you think you’ll do best in.

I think the best combination is an essay-heavy subject (History or English Literature), a subject that requires logical thinking (Maths) and then a 3rd one doesn’t really matter, it may compliment your other choices or be useful for Law (Economics, Politics, MFL ect.)

I seee can I do English language? Instead of eng lit? Also what is English language a level about?
Original post by Berrydo
I seee can I do English language? Instead of eng lit? Also what is English language a level about?

English language is not as good for Law. Universities talk about Keystone subjects, which are A Levels that any uni will accept, providing they're relevant for the course. English literature is one of these but Language isn't. Simply because Literature is more difficult.

My college do an English Language And English Literature A Level- a combined one. See if a college does the combined course anywhere if you're desperate to have English Language without compromising your chances as much.
Original post by Berrydo

Universities value English Literature a lot more than English Language so just keep that in mind.

I don’t do English at A-Level so I can’t really give you an accurate answer but I think it’ll be a lot like at GCSE by analysing texts and creative writing.
Universities value English Literature a lot more than English Language so just keep that in mind.

I don’t do English at A-Level so I can’t really give you an accurate answer but I think it’ll be a lot like at GCSE by analysing texts and creative writing.

I see I don’t rly know what to do at the moment and I’m choosing soon... but I think I might do psychology (is that considered as a weak subject?) Spanish and I feel like I should do I science but there isn’t rly one that I love so much I want to do for a level... maths maybe...
Reply 11
I'm taking English Literature, Psychology and Geography for Law. It doesn't matter what you take, but universities prefer at least one essay-based subject.
Original post by Berrydo
I see I don’t rly know what to do at the moment and I’m choosing soon... but I think I might do psychology (is that considered as a weak subject?) Spanish and I feel like I should do I science but there isn’t rly one that I love so much I want to do for a level... maths maybe...

What GCSE subjects do you currently enjoy the most?
What GCSE subjects do you currently enjoy the most?

I enjoy All my subjects to be honest, but now I’m revising for my mocks i don’t rly like anything at the moment. That’s the problem. I feel negative towards all my subjects which I know is bad but at the moment I don’t REALLY know what I enjoy.... at this moment in time anyway.
Original post by Berrydo
I enjoy All my subjects to be honest, but now I’m revising for my mocks i don’t rly like anything at the moment. That’s the problem. I feel negative towards all my subjects which I know is bad but at the moment I don’t REALLY know what I enjoy.... at this moment in time anyway.

I don't think you should worry that much, my A-Level subjects now were completely different to what I first decided, it takes a while to completely decide what is best for you. I didn't decide to do History until April.
Reply 15
Law grad here - it is an incredibly versatile subject and it does not matter at all what a levels you take. Take what you enjoy!

Firstly, I took Chemistry, Biology and History at A Level - mixes actually show versatility and law firms place a huge emphasis on people being 'well rounded'.

Secondly, about 50% of current trainee lawyers never even took a law degree so it really isn't an issue whatever you decide to take. Hope this helps! :smile:
How many a levels do you need to take for law?
Three.
What grades and university did you go to if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by bigsaz
Law grad here - it is an incredibly versatile subject and it does not matter at all what a levels you take. Take what you enjoy!

Firstly, I took Chemistry, Biology and History at A Level - mixes actually show versatility and law firms place a huge emphasis on people being 'well rounded'.

Secondly, about 50% of current trainee lawyers never even took a law degree so it really isn't an issue whatever you decide to take. Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by Berrydo

Hi,

Any A levels will be best for law! Law is a subject of skill and any A level you do will be helpful for you to do Law as you will gain skills which you will apply to law.

The ones that would be useful are law, politics, English, sociology. This is because these all tie in with law and they give you the skills you need in law. For example English help you write your essays whereas Sociology helps you why criminals behave in a way it enhances your problem solving skills.

I hope that helps :smile: If you need any more help please let us know.

Latest